Best desktop compliment to Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Emrtr4, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Emrtr4 macrumors regular

Okay, so what is the best compliment to the Macbook air? I am going to college next year and will probably get the air and I am looking for a desktop that I can do some basic gaming and video editing on.

Would I be best going with the 24 inch Imac and the Macbook air? Or is a Mac Pro the way to go?

2. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Well, looking at the Apple.com video, I'd say a HP Desktop PC!

3. Emrtr4 thread starter macrumors regular

HP? I thought they were as bad as dell.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Dell isn't bad either. I'd recommend Gateway. Pretty much any of these will suit you fine.

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I thought it was funny as well that the guided tour used a PC instead of an iMac or Mac Pro.

6. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

That was a joke :-(
    Hmm, well for desktop companion, I'd say an iMac, and if you're loaded, can't go wrong with a Mac Pro!

7. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

I would say the iMac. Especially if you have time to wait. You should see some speed bumps and graphics updates over the next 6 months. And if you get the MacPro you also have to get the display. I like the all-in-one design of the iMac.

Plus if you can wait, I am sure the Air will get much more reasonably priced as ssd prices come down. Personally, if I wanted an Air, I would wait until the 64 GB is standard and 128 GB is maybe a $300-$400 up-charge. But that's just me, I may want something light but I still want to be able to have a ton of data with me.

8. Emrtr4 thread starter macrumors regular

I would go for a mac pro too, but I will be majoring in international relations-not graphic design/ video editing.

I do own a Sony HC7 HD camera and do like some PC games (Total war series/ Half life) which is why I want something that at least has a graphics card. Although with the Imac I cannot play my 360 and I don't want to feel like a jack ass and have two monitors on my desk.

9. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

You seem to be flush with cash. Why not just get all three? Hell, throw in a MBP while you're at it.:D

10. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I thought that was a very clever way to show that PC users are indeed welcome to the party.

Funny that they removed the serial number sticker and Windows key. You could see the imprints on top of the PC's chassis.

11. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I have a mac pro 2.6 4core. 8GB ram 2x250GB SATA2 1x 500GB SATA2
    2 x Superdrive X1900XT 512mb ram Dell 2407FPW 24" LCD Wacom Intuos3 Widescreen

The macbook air is going to compliment it very well. :)

12. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Yes I agree, and I really like that virtual CD thing (whatever it's called), I read somewhere it's possible to do with MB(P) aswell? Anyone know how? It's super sweet!

13. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

It doesn't sound special, so it's probably hiding in a future update. As others have mentioned, the ability was there with other software packages, but a standard Windows/Mac utility is new. (as far as I've read.)

14. wake6830 macrumors regular

If you're a gamer and handy around computers, you'd probably be better off just putting together your own PC rig.

The iMac isn't a high-end gaming machine, and neither is the Mac Pro.

15. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

16. connectingrodd4 macrumors newbie

wow you do have a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket for a college student

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ Toast has allowed you to use another macs drive to burn if its on your network for a while now.

Plus I assume even without 'remote disc' you would still be able to hook up the MBA to another computer and use it's drive via target mode.

18. Emrtr4 thread starter macrumors regular

I wish, ha. Perhaps a MBP with a cinema display is just the way to go.

I suppose by the time I go Apple will put SSD in the pros and the 9 series Gforces will be in them.

19. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

By that time you'll probably be over the initial shock of the release of Air (huh, sort of sounds like my wife after I eat a bunch of Mexican food:D).