Best Desktop Control Apps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scarpad, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Looking for opinion for the best combination of apps I can use to Control my Imac with the Ipad Pro I have coming. It would be nice if the Ipad app was optimized for the pro but not necessary. Also I have a few Windows 10 Machines I would like to do the same.

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I used iTeleport for years and loved it. The most recent version has some pretty negative reviews, but I haven't used it in a while, so I can't comment on that. I plan on trying it out again once my iPad Pro arrives.

VNC Viewer is free, and OS X has a VNC built in via screen-sharing. You can install a VNC Server on your Windows machines.

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

TeamViewer. I use it daily. It's free and i love it.

4. krizko macrumors regular

Anybody know of any remote apps that have been updated/optimized for iPad Pro yet?

I use iTeleport and Microsoft RDP app but both still run at iPad Air resolution.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Splashtop is the best one Ive used to actually connect to my mac, but I think now they are subscription-based.

To just control the keyboard and mouse of my mac, I use RCTrackpad

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I also use Splashtop; it's not optimized for the iPP yet but it works great and has a touchpad option that makes navigating around my Mac a lot easier than trying to touch tiny little icons and buttons. I have an account with them but I think it's still free for personal use, unless I'm just grandfathered in. A friend of mine just started using it on my recommendation and he didn't mention having to subscribe to anything.

7. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

It's free to access on your local network. It's $16.99/year to access it away from home.

(Also, the Splashtop iOS apps are on sale for $0.99 for Black Friday. They're usually $19.99 for iPad and $9.99 for iPhone I think)

8. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

I use Screens which is really good. They are always on top of iOS updates and new features. Unlike some of the other apps already mentioned here. I gave up on iTeleport years ago due to terrible support and slow to update.
    With the size of iPad Pro, I feel like this is a really viable option for making the iPad Pro everything I need on the go.

I'm also looking at getting back into Parallels Access, as I think that might have a good place on iPad Pro too.

9. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I don't pay anything and I am able to remote access away from home. Like I said, maybe I'm grandfathered in to a free plan.

10. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Oh ok, yeah I bought mine early on and with one of the updates I thought I saw that they had switched to a subscription base for new members, but unlimited access for those who've already purchased it. I may just be thinking of their add-ons though, I know those are subscription based.

11. rwp macrumors member

I am also a happy Screens user. I have set up profiles to remotely control my home and work Macs through VNC. Works well, and I particularly like the 'trackpad' mode.

12. jeepik macrumors regular

jump desktop..allows for resolution change which is really helpful with the iPad screen

13. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

14. Manatee macrumors 6502a

Manatee

I've been using Parallels Access. It's a pay subscription product, but a subscription is included with Parallels Desktop for Mac (for creating virtual machines, like for running Windows or Linux on the Mac) which I use anyway. It's pretty iPad-friendly.

15. max2 macrumors 68000

Same here.

16. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

FYI, Screens is on sale for $9.99 for Black Friday.