Best Desktop Mac for Music Production?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cubex5, May 15, 2011.

1. Cubex5 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, question for you musicians out there. I have been using Microsoft Computers all my life and I have come to a conclusion that I want to start fresh with my computer experience and buy a mac. My musical software on PCs keep on crashing, even though I have upgraded my computer numerous times! One of the reasons I want to move from Pc to Mac is that I can use Logic, another recording software but isn't for Pc.

So I am not sure what specific model I should buy. I am stuck between a iMac 21.5 inch, and a Mac Pro. I used a iMac in the apple store and it was really great, but unfortunately there wasn't a Mac Pro there I could test out.

So will an iMac do me justice or will a Mac Pro? I'm looking for an OS that can run many Virtual Instruments at a time (eg. East West) with good latency and dosen't crash on me when I add 30+ Instrument tracks etc.

Thanks,
    Oliver :apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iMacs are very powerful now, most of them are faster than the low-end Mac Pro. I would consider the 27" iMac. It offers a good combination of power and screen estate.