Best Desktop Replacement to Accompany iPad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itzcoolz, May 28, 2010.

1. itzcoolz macrumors regular

i'm thinking about buying my first Apple notebook (only had iDevices until now). i had been happily running a 2 PC system (Shuttle XPC + Thinkpad X301) for quite a while, until i purchased an iPad 3G, which has shifted the balance because it neutralizes some of the x301's primary strengths (it's like the Macbook Air: slim, portable, but underpowered). I'm considering selling the Shuttle and x301, in exchange for a more robust laptop that would primarily serve as my desktop and occasionally serve as a portable option when i need to go beyond my iPad's limits.

my criteria for this desktop replacement would be:
    - powerful enough to function for my needs, yet light enough to carry around occasionally for presentations, etc
    - function as a media center (looking into external TV tuners or a slingbox)
    - very occasional video, photo editing
    - possible light gaming (RTS games like Starcraft 2; no FPS)

i'm currently considering:
    - Macbook Pro 13"
    - Macbook Pro 15"
    - Thinkpad T410/410s (w/ discrete graphics)

do you guys think either of these 3 options would be able to effectively replace my Shuttle XPC (Q6600 Quad-Core 2.4GHz with ATI Radeon HD 4600)? Any thoughts on which would better suit my needs, esp between the 13" and 15" Macbook Pro's?

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

the MacBook Pro 15" is going to be the best desktop replacement out of the notebooks listed. The discrete graphics used in the T410/s should be similar in performance to the integrated nvidia 320m in the MacBook Pro 13".
    Also the only notebook you listed which has a mid-line video card similar to your ATI 4600 is the MacBook Pro 15" with the 330m.

3. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Why are you set on a Desktop replacement? Why not a desktop?

4. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

""yet light enough to carry around occasionally for presentations, etc""

The 13" MBP is powerful enough, the 15" has a bigger footprint. I'd choose the size you think you'd enjoy handling the most or if a larger screen size is a high priority go 15".

5. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Did you notice that he is also looking for something to replace his replace his Intel quad core with ATI 4600?

If truly looking for the similar performance, the MacBook Pro 15" is the closest option.
    If you really do not need something equivalent or similar in performance to the Intel quad core with ATI 4600, then the MacBook Pro 13" or Thinkpad T410/s should be alternatives as well.

6. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Yes, I also noticed the criteria he listed. 13" MBP is a sound choice, perhaps with an external monitor.

7. itzcoolz thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, to clarify my intentions for listing the specs of my Shuttle. it's not necessarily that i need to have exactly comparable specifications, but just to give a ballpark range of where i'd be coming from. but in the end, the bigger priority is that it just be able to handle what i need to do.

but i agree, i think it basically comes down to a matter of size vs power and cost. Would it be safe to say that the 13" Macbook Pro would be able to handle occasional video/image editing and Starcraft 2?