Best desktop speakers for under $170?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by benji21, Jul 11, 2013.

1. benji21 macrumors member

What's up! I'm looking for a nice pair of desktop speakers for around $170, I'm not into a subwoofer or anything due to space in my apartment, but just a regular pair of nice speakers for desktop should just do the job well.

I'm using a pair of creative speakers right now, I've had them for around 6 years, they've been awesome but time to upgrade now I think.

Thanks all!

2. tengtengvn macrumors member

tengtengvn

Just got the Logitech Z623 and it sounds pretty good for the money. I've had more expensive systems but I need something small, easy to move around, simple and sound decent. The Z623 fits the bill.

The sub looks small in picture but dang... it hits hard. That's coming from a person who has 2x10" sub woofers in his car.

3. cledet macrumors regular

cledet

4. COrocket macrumors 6502

I got an amp http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepa...&ie=UTF8&qid=1373688436&sr=1-1&keywords=lepai
    And a set of Sony bookshelf speakers http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000...1373688584&sr=8-7&keywords=bookshelf+speakers

I really like them, and came in at $80 for the whole setup when I bought them. I wanted a system with powerful sound without dealing a subwoofer and they fit the bill. There are a bunch of other highly rated speakers on amazon to choose from if the Sonys are sold out. One criticism that people have with the amp is it is only 2x20W, but you would have to really crank them to get that type of output, it was more than enough for me. Plus, i think they look a lot better than the tiny satellites included in 2.1 systems.

5. EricT43 macrumors regular

I really like my M-Audio Studiophile AV 40. They appear to be on sale right now. I also use these at barbecues, I take them outside and plug them into my iPad.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

That is a great little solution. I am totally going to buy something similar.