Best destiny for a lighly used 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Streamlines, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Streamlines macrumors newbie

I recently got a new 6+ and I'm very happy with it. My old 4S 16Gb is now sitting unused on a dresser at home and I'm wondering what I should do with it. The 4S is in excellent condition with no scratches on the screen or sides and only a few minor scratches on the back. It is an unlocked Verizon version.

Should I:
    1. Keep the 4S as a backup and use it like a quasi iPod Touch?
    2. Sell it on Ebay or Craigslist?
    3. Somehow get something for it from Verizon?
    4. Donate it to a worthy organization?

Please note that I'm not asking this as a solicitation here on MR, so no purchase offers please.

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Keep it. The 4S was one of the most beautiful iPhones ever. It's a design classic.

Have it as a backup phone or just as a keepsake. It's what I would do.

3. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

The Verizon iP4s is not unlocked unless you get Verizon to unlock it and then it is only unlocked for international use. The Verizon iP4s won't work on TMobile or AT&T even if unlocked internationally but still, international buyers or those who use their phones internationally are interested in purchasing them.

There may be some way to unlock them for domestic GSM use if you jailbreak and pay for a service, idk, but if all you did was get Verizon to unlock the phone, it is only unlocked for international use.

If you have a use for it as an iPod touch-like device then that is a good idea.

This is what I would do (except I would sell on swappa) unless you don't have any other backup devices and don't carry insurance. If you don't have any other b/u devices and don't carry insurance, it is worth keeping your iP4s IMO unless you can afford to go out and buy yourself a brand new phone if you lose yours.

----------

Well you missed the great trade-in deal at launch when Verizon was giving $200 for an iP4 or an iP4s. Now I think you would only get around $70 or so for it. They have a trade-in site:

https://www.trade-in.vzw.com/home.php5?c=en-us

But they do periodically have those "trade-in any working smartphone" promos if you buy a new device.

----------

Which one would have use for a 3G smartphone? Flip phones, sure, I can see giving those to domestic violence shelters or for military but a 3G device requires an expensive data plan to use but yet you would only get 3G speeds. Verizon's 3G speeds are terrible. Who is crazy enough to pay for a data plan nowadays and only get 3G speeds on Verizon?

4. Streamlines thread starter macrumors newbie

Verizon did unlock it, but yes, in the current sense of "unlocked" it is a bit hobbled.

No other backups and I don't carry insurance. Of course, I had the 4S for 3+ years and it's nearly pristine so I'm not too worried about needing a backup.

Good point. I hadn't thought of the data plan cost implications with a donated phone.

5. JulesJam macrumors 68020

JulesJam

The b/u is for loss/theft mostly. The risk of loss you can minimize by being conscientious and to some degree you can do that with theft risk, too. But you can only do so much to prevent theft.

A relative of mine who is mindful of her iPhone recently had one fall into the water while she was on a boat when she was bumped by another person on board. She was careful but the other person wasn't.

Hardware failures do occur and if you don't have AppleCare+ you are only protected for 1 year. Although, a year from now your iP4s will seem like a dinosaur!!! Once you get used to the 4G LTE speeds on Verizon, you would HATE going back to Verizon's incredibly slow 3G network.

----------

I would take a look at what the unlocked Verizon iP4s are selling for on swappa. Then weigh that against your need for a b/u device to make your decision.

For me, I need a smartphone 100% of the time. So I need a b/u device. I use Androids and Androids by and large don't have great resale value so I keep them as b/u.

My mom can get by on a flip phone if she has to and she uses an iPhone so I sell her old iPhones.