Best digital camera?? Canon vs Nikon models

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac2004, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

My sister is in the market for a new digital camera as she loves photography. She wants something easy to use (not complex) and that has a good reputation for quality and takes good photos.

She is considering these models....

Nikon D90
    Canon Rebel XSi (or Rebel Xti)
    Canon SX10 IS
    Nikon D40
    Canon PowerShot G10 or G11

Any thoughts and/or recommendations? I have heard many good things on the Canon Rebel but I am not sure what model as I think there are 2 or 3 different Rebel models.

Also, who has the best deals on new digital cameras (either store or online)?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm not much of a photographer, from second hand experiences feedback for D90 has been pretty good.

As with store, if you want great service and no-hassles, you could check out B&H Photo.

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

LoL DSLRs with point and shoots?

Anywho, it depends on her skill level and how far she actually wants to go. If she doens't want to take the time to learn the skill, about different lenses, about flash etc and just wants to take snapshots then the P&S will work for her. (Canon SX10 or Powershot)

If she wants to upgrade in optical quality but have somewhat limited control over her shots (and thus less to screw up) the d40 may be a good choice, but the kit (included) lens won't do her justice of the larger sensor over the P&S's. If she wants to take *true* dslr quality shots she'll need to move to a quicker lens like the 50mm (about 150 bucks. Most people get this lens to complement the kit lens and are blown away by the quality). I got a d40 kit for my girlfriend but like I said earlier she complains about her shots looking to "Point and shooty" for a DSLR with the included lens.

But if she wants a camera that'll last her a while whilist learning the ropes, I can't recommend the d90 enough (since it's what I got). Plenty of controls, the same sensor as the d300 and lotsa premium features like wireless flash and HD video recording , which works great IF you know how to use it correctly. I have little experience with canon models but i've been using nikon since forever.

This is a video I put up on youtube demoing the sims on the iPhone. It was shot on my d90 with the 50mm f/1.8 lens I talked about earlier in 720p. The focus is a little shaky but that's because it has to be done by hand (just for video only). This shot was "optimized" using a couple of tricks developed since the body was released. If you search youtube for any other d90 videos you'll see alot of them have the camera constantly adjusting the light to compensate which makes the video look horrible.

Also, you may want to ask a mod to move this to the photography section. This section is more for Mac hardware buying advice.

4. alvindarkness macrumors 6502

Considering the weird range of choices you have there, you might want to add the Pentax K7 to the list. It'll be a way of getting very good quality results, for substantially cheaper than a camera from the "big two". Especially once you start buying lenses (the DA* lenses for the most part are on par with nikon/canon lenses costing more than twice as much).

Good way to get into photography, and it might be a kit you keep for a decade, or a stepping stone to another brand/system in 5 years if you "out grow it".

(Note: Im a bit biased being with pentax since the K1000 film days, its a system I dont ever plan to leave).

5. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

Like the others have said, It depends on how far she wants to go with photography. I'm just getting into it myself and was really looking into getting the Nikon D90 with a 18-200mm VR II lens but it all boiled down to the cost. Since I had a old Minolta Maxxum 9000 and lenses.... I decided to go with a Sony alpha 350 since I could still use my Minolta lenses and save a bit on lenses until I get better. If the price isn't an issue I would say the D90 is a great choice due to the premium features it has. Its pretty easy to use since the buttons are placed very nicely for easy to get to options. And those extra features it has.... she can utilize as she gets further into Photography.

-Tony

6. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

The D40 is a great entry level DSLR and would be a good choice if she is moving up from a point and shoot camera

7. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

8. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

+1 I love mine.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I started with the XTi and loved it. If it hadn't gotten stolen I would have kept it for a long time, but I just "upgraded" to the XSi. Not as good :-\