Best discount - apple developer or student ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ksb-online, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Ksb-online macrumors regular

Who/what gets the best discount on the MacBook pro? I want to start developing apps and heard that apple do a discount for dev's?? I know about the student discount.

Can anyone clarify what is the best way to go about buying a high end MBP with some sort of discount???

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

probably student discount as you have to pay $99 to get enrolled in the developer program. but if you buy lots of hardware the developer is probably better.

3. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I might be wrong here but I thought developers no longer get hardware discounts.:confused:

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Students. I'm not sure if devs still get hardware discounts or not but to get them I'm pretty sure you had to be one of the devs that pays $3500 (or whatever the cost was) for developer membership. (I could be wrong on the price but I'm almost positive I remember seeing that.)

Once you get your student discount though, also go to developer.apple.com and register to be an iPhone dev, however to put your apps on the device you need to pay $99 for a year which is dirt cheap considering what Apple does for you. (Anyone who thinks otherwise must not appreciate the free app hosting).

If you are new to development, hold off on paying that until you get to learning Cocoa (You will need to learn Objective-C first). Once you get to Cocoa though I'd recommend using both the simulator and paying the $99 to put your apps on the device.

5. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

^^^^^
    Refurbs can definitely be the right way to go. The machines are brought to a new condition and offer the identical warranty as the new ones.

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

8. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

You can no longer purchase the ADC membership therefore there is no longer a developer discount unless you were grandfathered in.

The current Mac or iOS dev programs do not include any type of discount program.

Your best bet is either the student discount or a discount through an organizational membership such as NAPP or the PPA.

9. Ksb-online thread starter macrumors regular

hmm fair play

cheers for the feedback guys/girls, appreciate it all ..

Will defiantly go the student route and then apply for the $99 dev account after creating apps "localy" on my machine..

cheers again

10. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Are you positive? I'm not sure if you can use the student discount on a refub machine...

11. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i hate to say 100%, but i'm pretty sure this is what i did when i bought my imac a couple years back.

12. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

ok, i just checked my records. i didn't get a student discount, but i did receive a partner discount on top of the refurbished price. at the time my wife worked for a company that had a deal with apple which provided up to an 8% discount on depending on the product.

sorry, for the earlier mistatement. my memory fails me in my old age.

13. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Don't you wish you could just order the new one from OWC? ;)

14. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

[​IMG]

Mid range 15" - that's $400 off ... even with the $99 enrollment fee it's still a steal.
    Go with ADC :)

15. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

16. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

You can't get the student developer discount anymore. You can't simply pay $99 and get your discount. That ended in March of this year.

The $99 Mac Developer or iPhone Developer membership get you absolutely no discounts.

17. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

student or employee discount.

but student saves few dollars more :)

18. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

Are they official resellers? Also you can't combine your student discount with a refurb.

19. archmc macrumors newbie

how good is Mac Connection with processing these rebates? it shows that it take 8-12 weeks to receive the rebate...

20. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Thats nuts.