Best discount Macbook for when I start Uni (UK)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LERsince1991, Feb 8, 2009.

1. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

It's my 18th birthday soon (march 22nd) and I would like to get the high-end alu Macbook for when I start uni around september 09. I will be studying Architecture and like the macbook to last till the end of about 5 years. My current laptop was a cheap acer and has lasted about 5 years and still good enough to do my CAD work on and some CS4.

I worked out I get 6.06% with the base educational discount on this macbook.

I'm not sure if I qualify for the other educational discounts. I am in my last half a year in A levels (post 16 in college) then start uni.

What percentage do the other educational discounts give me?
    any other ways of saving me money?
    I don't suppose there would be any update in the near future (I know everyone asks this but would you reccomend buying for march 22nd or wait a bit? The new macbooks have only just been released though really so?)

Cheers, Luke

2. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

you would have to wait till you started uni to get the better discount.

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You'll be eligible for the HE discount the moment you get a confirmed offer letter from a Uni, but the problem is that most orders go through the Uni's network, so you have to be logged into a uni machine to order.

There are anecdotal reports of people taking the letters to an Apple Store and getting the HE discount applied however.

You could wait and order it once you get to the Uni or try going to the store. The discount is worth it either way, plus you get full AppleCare for 3 years for £50.

4. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

if you go to macmall or bh photo to buy it then you can save substantial amounts compared to apple.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

With the low exchange rate and the cost of postage and import taxes from the USA, it would be more expensive buying from these places.