Best discrete/low profile DSLR set up.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by nateo200, Sep 12, 2011.

1. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Whats the best low profile set up for a DSLR? Lets say something like my 550D for going out with friends but not looking like a creep at venues with a DSLR (face it people look at you like you have a sniper rifle if your too obvious! :O). I know some venues specifically say "NO DSLR's" and some have gray areas where they say no "pro" cameras whatever that means :D:p Also prime lenses with wide angles seam to be a better choice if your doing any in city shooting. So I was thinking some sort of nice compact wide prime lense with a decently low f stop? I've looked at a few of Canon's but what is your guys input? These cameras are just barely over the "size limit" of allot of my pockets.

2. julianps macrumors member

julianps

Canon PowerShot S95 - The pocket camera for the serious photographer?

This would be my choice ...
    • HS System and f/2 lens
    • High-sensitivity 10.0 MP CCD
    • 28 mm wide, 3.8x zoom lens, Hybrid IS
    • Lens Control Ring, Full Manual and RAW
    • 7.5 cm (3.0") PureColor II G LCD
    • HD movies, HDMI
    • High Dynamic Range mode
    • Smart Auto
    • Multi-Aspect Shooting
    • Optional Waterproof Case

3. nateo200 thread starter macrumors 68030

nateo200

Wow that caught me off guard. That would be quite a set up indeed but what about if you already have a full sized DSLR body? I always here about people choosing wisely with lenses when going to venues that may or may not like your high-res-toating rear end :D :D :p

4. julianps, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

julianps macrumors member

julianps

You pays your money ....

All photographers are faced with the same challenge at some point; sure full sized cameras are usually "better" photographically it's just that sometimes they're not practical.

Until Canon launched the S90 most compact cameras offered little, or at best clunky, manual control whereas even fewer offered anything like 28mm/f2.0

5. avro707 macrumors 6502a

To some, any DSLR camera (or anything that looks like one) is a "pro camera".

So you might find yourself needing to have one of those high-end point-and-shoot cameras like a Nikon P7000 or its Canon/Sony equivalents.

It's not ideal - but those gather far less attention. And to be honest, if you lose a point-and-shoot (ie, if it's confiscated or otherwise destroyed in a location where you've got no say in the matter), it's not as big a deal as losing a many-thousands of dollars DSLR and lens combination. It's still not nice - but it's less of a problem.

Otherwise, you might well look at one of the standard wide angle prime lenses that are nice and compact - but I doubt that will help, as those may still be deemed to be "pro camera" equipment. :(

6. Edge100, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

Edge100 macrumors 68000

To be honest, I've come to realize that for all the good they do, DSLRs are simply not "discrete".

A 5D and Voigtlander 40 f/2 would be the smallest DSLR kit I would be comfortable with, and even that is not really a "discrete" kit. This is why I've moved to a film rangefinder for my street photography.

You might consider a m4/3 body with a pancake prime.

7. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

When I am "going out", I take the grip off my 5DII and slap on the Sigma 50 f/1.4 and am good to go.

Works a charm for live music in dark venues.

8. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Depends on how discrete you want to be. This would be on my short list for ultra-discrete:

Panasonic GF3
    [​IMG]

9. drewt macrumors newbie

Canon S95

Canon S95 has my vote... my Nikon is always "handy" nearby but never as discrete as the S95.

10. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I've gotten my DSLR into venues because of the bag I use. It doesn't scream D S L R PRO lol. I put my D90 in a Crumpler bag or Timbuk2 face down, so that they don't see the numbers. If I use fast glass I make sure they don't see the lens. Maybe lay it flat on the bottom of the bag. ie 24-70mm.

11. TheReef, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Another is the Pentax k-x or k-r with the DA 40mm ltd pancake.

People often mistake my 40mm ltd for a body cap :p

They also make 15mm and 21mm versions.

Attached Files:

12. iTiki macrumors 6502

X100

Not a dSLR, but the Fuji X100 gets my vote for size and the PQ is outstanding due to it's larger sensor and fast lens. Even at high ISO it is amazing. Great when you don't want to call attention to yourself using a flash.

13. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

14. carlgo macrumors 68000

I would also look for a model with a flip-up rear screen. You can shoot at waist level or over your head in a crowd. Waist level make it seem you are checking the camera. I've read a few accounts from people that this sort of set-up is stealthy and nobody notices.

And for this kind of use, discreet street stuff, there is no need for a DSLR's capabilities or resolution. The top P&S models are all fine. The Sony Nex is also a good choice now.