Best Disk Repair Utility? Need One ASAP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smirking, Aug 4, 2008.

1. smirking macrumors 6502a

My MacBook Pro's hard drive just bit the dust and it won't boot up anymore. I ran a hardware test on it and no problems were found. I then used Disk Utility to verify the disk. It failed both the permissions check and the disk verify. The "Repair Disk" and "Repair Permissions" buttons also were greyed out, so I couldn't repair the disk in any way.

When I rebooted my MBP in target disk mode connected to my desktop, it took several minutes for the MBP disk to show up and when it did, I got a message basically saying my disk was was hosed and I needed to back up all the data as soon as possible, wipe out the disk, and rebuild the OS.

Is there any disk utility software out there that might help me fix this without going through a rebuild of my MBP? TechToolPro?

2. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

While it's mounted, I'd quickly pull off every bit of data I could in case it's dying.

Then, if running Disk Utility on it while it's mounted as a volume on the desktop didn't work, I'd try Drive Genius II or TechTool Pro. There are others out there but those are the two I'm most acquainted with.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I agree, get that drive backed up ASAP.

Another option is DiskWarrior. It's an expensive one-trick pony, but worth it when you need that trick.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Haven't tried data rescue but DiskWarror 4's saved my bacon on a couple of occasions and well worth the $99 IMOH

5. smirking thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, in the end I decided to just reformat the hard drive and copy everything back on to a new OS. Part of the issues that I discovered was that the hard drive that failed was not journaled. I guess that could help explain why it failed. In light of that, I figured it was better to just go ahead and start over.

There goes an entire day. Thanks anyway for your help everyone.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod