Best display for Graphic Design Professional?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bluetooth, Jan 25, 2008.

1. bluetooth macrumors 6502a

bluetooth

I am at a bit of a loss because I was set to purchase the BenQ FP241W seen here: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011446

...but they no longer stock this model as it has been replaced with the BenQ FP241VW seen here: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=015723&cid=MT.863

...which from my understanding is a display designed more for gaming.

So I am stuck and back to point A. Has anyone heard of the FP241VW being decent for graphic design? Any other brands anyone would reccomend for graphic design professionals? I have heard LG tossed around a bit. Looking for some first hand experience or insight as a lot of the reviews will tell you little about Mac and graphic design as they are more PC and gaming based or oriented.

- Thanks

ps. I am still on the fence about the HD Cinema as I have read that they are about to come out with a new and improved model so I don't want to spend over $1,000 on a model they are improving.

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I think you'll find a lot of compelling opinions about the ACDs, even though potential upgrades/replacements may be down the road. I tend to agree with them, but still have been unable to justify the price premium

I use a Dell 2407WFPHC, and am basically happy with it. I've yet to use it for crucial colour work, but am looking into hardware calibrators for that purpose. In the meantime, I just pick out of a Pantone swatch book, same as I've always done.

3. itou macrumors regular

how professional are you to consider a benq?
    we have nothing but eizo's and cinema displays in my studio and the word "benq" has never EVER crossed my mind.

4. Phazer80s macrumors regular

The BENQ is in my list of considerations, too. Places other than Canada Computers might still have them in stock.

Have you considered the Samsung 244T? I'm considering it as my next monitor, even tough the model was released in 2005. It's available through a good amount of stores and much less than it used to be. Check out reviews here and here. They're often compared to the Dell 2407WFP, sometimes more favourably. The 244T uses the same panel inside but (to my eyes) comes in a more stylish case. It comes in black or silver, too. The fit and look of the Dell case put me off. They still get great reviews, though, and are priced really well. Still, either the Samsung or the Dell don't have the HDMI like the BENQ.

Good point about the Eizos and the ADCs, though. They're often the pros' top choices. Eizo seems to be the undisputed king for colour-critical applications. You might wanna find one with stats similar to this. We work on a 23" ADCs at work and they all have a bit of bias toward red. The greys have a *hint* of red to them. Hardware calibration might fix that, though.

5. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Budget doesn't equate the level of "professional". I guess my point is that sure, you can consider an ADC, LaCie and even the pricier Eizo line IF it's in your budget. But if not, you can certainly get by with a medium level monitor, if you recognize the strengths and weaknesses of what you get.

In the past, not every agency's studio monitor was accurately and consistently calibrated outside the retouching or photography department. Colour choices were made by swatch, colour correction based on film proof.

Personally, I didn't consider Benq (or Acer, or Gateway, etc), but the available panels in those brands aren't always bottom of the barrel, are they?

As many threads warn, stay away from TN panels at the very least. The rest depends on your wallet.