Best DIY cloud storage solution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evev12, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Evev12 macrumors regular

I'm looking for a good external drive/system that will let me create my own cloud type storage. I remember reading a few posts a little while back that mentioned a few solutions. What seems to be the consensus on the best/economical solution?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Use your web account. Many accounts offer unlimited storage. Just check for any agreement regarding storage of files that are not published on your site.

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I use a 2TB My Book Live for Time Machine and for remote access via WD2Go. It used to use Mionet instead of WD2Go, and Mionet was awful, but that's gone now! You could also use Owncloud if you think you could manage it. It would be a bit high-maintenance though.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

A Synology NAS can be a DIY cloud. They have iOS apps, WebDAV, FTP, etc...

5. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

I use my 2TB Time Capsule and enable web access. I can access it anywhere from any device. I also use Dropbox.....syncs all my devices to the cloud.....Macs and Windows and phones!

6. sabahm macrumors newbie

Synology NAS would be a good pick in this scenario. However, you can use your web account to store your important files or you can also opt-in cloud storage services to do so.