Best DNS to watch US content in the UK

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by m11rphy, Dec 28, 2014.

1. m11rphy macrumors 6502

Hi All

I have an apple tv 3 here in the UK as well as friends cable login details, Now I just need a DNS service could some please make a recommendation ? thanks

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

DNS is not going to help you.

DNS resolves names to IP, or from the reverse zone IP to names. if you are wanting to watch services that are limited to a geo that you're not located in you will need an IP the resolves to a provider in that region.

3. ecopod macrumors member

Hi, also in UK with ATV3, I use 'Unlocator' to access the US channels on ATV3 including US Netflix. Has worked perfectly so far and also use it on macbook and mini for Hulu (then airplay to ATV/TV).

I think it's $4.95 monthly and was super simple to set up.

4. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I use unotelly. I live in Canada eh? I'm sure it works for UK users. I've been using them for well over a year no issues. Very fast, lots of servers, good encryption. I pay about $6 a month. Also gives access to many other countries Netflix like USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Brazil, etc. They also give a one week free trial.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Actually, DNS is sufficient for most services.

6. macking104 macrumors 6502

macking104

Original poster:

Isnt the sentence for stealing cable tv in The UK having to listen to Clarkson for five hours babble about why Porsches are bad... and then listening to Piers Morgan talk about Arsenal for five hours...?

7. RahulRulz macrumors member

RahulRulz

You can use UnBlock-US to use US Channels in UK

8. bucksaddle macrumors 6502

Another vote here for Unotelly - haven't had a single problem with it in over a year and can access all US based content such as Hulu, US Netflix, etc.

What a load of old twaddle.

9. m11rphy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys I'm gonna give unotolly a try this week

10. Dc2006ster macrumors regular

Another vote for unotelly.

I use my account on home TV and on my iPad. But I use it to watch British TV via uk Netflix, bbc iplayer or itv player., sort of the opposite of what you want to do. What TV channels are you interested in? I suspect you can watch network channels like ABC etc but not speciality channels like HBO which require a subscription.

11. m11rphy thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm mainly interested in watch uk football via NBC live extra, it's mad they show more live games in the US than UK. I already pay for Sky Sports and BT Sport so I have done everything I can to get most games the proper way, but I beloved arsenal aren't always shown live

12. Slimmyhendrix macrumors regular

People always link to steam arsenal on their FB page fyi

13. ruckleapple macrumors member

14. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

You need to authorize with a supported cable/satellite account to get Live Extra, just so you know.

15. melapple macrumors regular

I contacted them and the confirmed that they currently do not support ABC on Apple TV. Deal breaker for me.

By the way, I'm currently using smartDNSproxy but service is so so...
    Shopping around for other DNS services. I'm try out Unlocator but several channels do not work properly. CBS News for example is blocked even though the channel is not region locked so it should be unblocked from the get go (it works with my IP address).

Anyone has any suggestion?
    Also, has anyone experienced slow streaming on Apple TV using DNS services the last week or so?

16. ruckleapple macrumors member

Yeah I wish they'd fix that. You can airplay the Watch Abc app to the Apple TV from iPhone and iPad though. Which is what I do. The live tv function still does not work however.

17. betman macrumors regular

I had some issues with Unotelly recently so I cancelled my account and went with Getflix instead: getflix.com.au

So far so good. You can also do a free trial without the need for any CC details. After signing up just jot down the DNS number to your nearest location (the UK is there, just not towards the end under "U" but as Great Britain :) ): https://www.getflix.com.au/setup/overview

And then just change the DNS setting on your Apple TV:
    https://www.getflix.com.au/setup/apple-tv

18. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Give dns4me a try. They support most of the big channels and even have a smart filter that allows you to add custom channels.
    The technical staff are great as well, they set up a few channels for me that weren't supported over the Christmas break and are a good few dollars cheaper than most other DNS providers.

19. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

In fairness he's technically right - DNS just resolves names to IP addresses.

With that said, those provides will work because they resolve the domains to different IPs that proxy the US based services via US based IP addresses. Think of it as a selective VPN.

20. melapple macrumors regular

This smart filter you mention sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
    Seems to me that Apple TV is one of the least supported services on these services and Apple TV owners are kind of left on their own in terms of support

21. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

Yes for some reason the Apple TV is the least supported device from any provider i've found, even the big ones such as UnoTelly. That's not to say they don't work.

The website I recommended, dns4me needs updating but channels such as ABC, Showtime, FOX, HBO all work for me. I don't have the sports accounts (such as NFL and NBA) so I wouldn't know.

22. NeilHD macrumors regular

I use Unblock-US.

Costs about $5 per month and works perfectly (at least for Netflix, which is all I use it for). They have detailed guides on how to setup every type of device.

They have a mobile version of the site that I have setup as a shortcut on my phone. All I have to do is press that, and I can switch easily to any Netflix region around the world in about 2 seconds flat.

Works the other way too, a (English) friend of mine in the US uses it to watch UK Netflix.