Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamyoshida

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Does my son have a preference? Yes: A 3ghz Macpro for the desk, and a 2.33ghz MBP for on the go. And that's the dilemma. I know some would recommend maybe an Imac + MB, but I'm not sure that he really needs TWO computers. My question is really what machine has the most overall utility in a college setting. This thread has helped me to appreciate the virtues and liabilities of each option.

Unless you're extremely rich (that is to say, a multi-millionaire, minumum) or your son is going to a first-rate school to do advanced design or editing work of one kind or another, there's no way in hell that he's going to need even close to that.

I've found that a laptop-desktop combination is a waste 90% of the time anyways (at least, both brand new),

If you're even considering spending that sort of money, I'd suggest that you just get him the MacBook Pro. For what you described that should be more than enough.

If he's got to have the portable-desktop combo, a MacBook and the mid-level iMac should actually cost just a little more than the MacBook Pro.

But there's no way in hell that anyone such as you described would have need for a 3 Ghz Mac Pro. I hate to rain on your kid's parade, but it sounds to me like he's playing you. I know, because it's (on a smaller-scale) what I used to do.

Adam (Circa 1997): Dad, we need a CD Burner, otherwise we could lose all of our data? Remember the time I lost that paper?

Adam (Circa 1998): We need a DVD drive…

Etc, etc.

tylerboyo

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2006
Cardiff, UK
Im in university, doing graphic design, in the UK. Ive got a macbook pro, 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hdd. Am getting the ram upgraded, and an external harddrive, within the next 2 weeks. Then, possibly, a cinema display within a few months. But a macbook pro is fine, i was debating selling mine, and getting the newest 15", the best one, but thought there cant be THAT much of a difference, especilally if i upgrade the ram, if anything, a few seconds here and there. Im gonna keep it and get a new one in 2yrs time most probly, unless somethign drastic comes out. Also, i suggest checking out the refurb store, on the apple site, ive seen some excellent deals on there, and i regret not getting 1 from there to be honest. Basically im saying get a laptop. Mines insured now as well, PLUS im buying a family license of undercover, between me and 4 freinds, so thatll come to £5-7 each, depending on exchange rate when i buy it. I dont have a lock for it, i live 3rd floor of my halls, and with insurance, im not THAT worried. Although if i was in work or a different environment, or even a sketchy place next year when i move into a house/flat i would buy a lock. Although, insurance money to buy a new does sound nice, losing all my footage, and files wouldnt.

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
MacPro = HUGE OVERKILL

Sounds like he'd be good with a MacBook. The only thing you mentioned that suggested he may need more would be gaming. In that case a MBP or an iMac.

Personally I'd go with the MBP, as that is what I have and I can't imagine having anything other than a laptop.

Don't waste your money..and if it is your son's money, don't let him waste his money. At the very least use the extra to buy a PS3 or something...just don't spend it on a computer about 10x greater than your needs.

Note: Although the MBP and the MacPro are both 'pro' the MBP is more comparible to the iMac in terms of performance.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I have a MacBook Pro 17" and an external monitor, buy a second one of the monitor converters, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and an extra power adapter...(that should run you around say $250?) and he should be fine, if you need to buy an extra monitor.

If he needs the storage beyond 200gb's than umm...get an external hard drive (i recommend with sticking to the 120gb, if he needs the space...xternal)

Lastly, that Mac Pro won't be fully utilized w/o the ram, so upgrade the Ram to 2gb's that should solve the problems cheaply (if you don't purchase everything in the apple store.

btw...im a student, the reason why i mention some of the things above is b/c when i get home to my desk i pull my laptop out of my bag, plug in the power adapter and the monitor cable and the keyboard and mouse are already there...

but there's no question laptop all the way...

secondly, having more than one machine is honestly jst creating a bigger mess and will prbly be more inconvenient....and any true mac fan will kill someone using Word on a Mac Pro w/ a 30" Cinema Display....if it was pages we might only decapitate you...haha

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I would go with a MacBook and a 20 or 23 inch monitor if possible (doesn't have to be an apple). This is absolutely the best of both worlds. The MacBook is extremely portable for taking around during the day, and you still have a nice big screen in your dorm room for work, movies, tv, etc. Hook up an eyeTV and some descent speakers and you have a computer, tv, dvd player, and stereo all in one. Dorm space is limited, so think about incorporating these things too. I know budgets are usually tight, so the external monitor can wait a year or two.

My second choice would be a 17" MacBook Pro instead of the ext. monitor, but I have a feeling he will regret it trying to take it around to classes, library, etc.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
golden mac kid, can i ask why you have 3 laptops? and when you use 1 over the other?

umm...the MacBook Pro is the one i use primarily, the Powerbook is just full of music and other DJ software. The MacBook is mine, but it is used by my dad for business, its other purpose is to sit on Adium and Safari downstairs in front of the television.

@jay42, i second that opinion-when having to carry around the 17" its a bitch, yet it only weighs 9lbs...its jst really too wide. but i like the large screens

hana

macrumors regular
May 23, 2003
Los Angeles
Unless he is doing something that requires heavy processing, I'd suggest a Macbook to start with. Macbook gives the best in portablity, durability (unless something has improved since my days with the Tibook), and wireless connectivity. (I'd always get less bars with the Tibook and I've heard the same happens with the aluminum...but perhaps someone can confirm that or not) I also based this on my assumption (perhaps wrong) that this is your son's first laptop, but also since it is his first year of college I think having a durable laptop may be more of a priority than something that is top of the line.

I also agree that if he gets a laptop, he needs a good lock and a good padded laptop sleeve.

Fall 2007 is a long ways away.... I suggest you both research this with current students at your son's college and also check out if and when he would be eligible for an educational discount through his university.

Mac'Mo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
NYC
if the question boils down to a decision between a desktop or a laptop, I'd say laptop along with the general consensus. As far as the venerated MB vs MBP question goes, the decision is really up to your son. I personally would recommend the MB with 2gb of ram because the thing about laptops is for them to be portable. A MB is more portable than the MBP and if he found the MBP too heavy or bulky (as some, like myself, do) then he'd be less encouraged to take it (and use it) to the library or to lectures. Also the MBP is a better gaming machine but thats a bad thing since i don't think you want him to game too much especially since you are paying for him to get an education.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
For what it's worth, as someone with both a MacBook Pro (work) and MacBook (home), I'd recommend the MacBook to almost any student. I use mine whenever possible instead of the MBP, simply because it's smaller and lighter.

Of course, everyone thinks they want the Pro. But its wireless reception is pitiful compared to the MB's, the case is more flexible and, to my mind, breakable than the MBs, the battery life is the same or worse, and it's heavier and bigger. I think that the MB is far more suited to college life's demands, and it can be upgraded in a year or two for the same total cost as buying an MBP.

The main effective benefit of the MB is screen resolution. The graphics advantages are not evident unless gaming or using 3D apps. If your son is going to game, do as others have said and buy a gaming console or cheap PC for him to do that.

There is a big difference between what he wants and what will work for him. The MBP will make him happier, but it won't do a thing to make him more productive, unless he needs that screen real estate.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
15" MBP all the way. Whatever he does, don't let him get a 17" model. It doesn't fit well in a backpack (or any bag for that matter) and the only thing worse than being referred to as "that weird kid in the back who always brings his laptop to class" is being referred to as "that weird kid in back with the GIANT laptop."

Otherwise, if he wants to go desktop, get a souped up 20" imac, as a 24" really won't fit in a lot of dorm rooms.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
Does your son have any idea what he wants to study? I was a graphics major (graduated '04) and got by with a Vaio laptop easily. I preferred to use our labs to work on my projects anyway, it was more like my "office" vs. having to work with everyone running around the dorm. Plus our labs were updated constantly, so we always had the latest hardware/software.

I assume that your son's future school has wireless across campus? I know most schools do now, at least in the library, but if they don't that may be something else to consider.

Now for my opinion :D ::
What I would do is buy a Macbook with the RAM maxed out, and add an external display and BT mouse and keyboard, and an external HD so he can back his stuff up. That way he still has the portability when he wants to be on-the-go, but he can also hook it up and use it like a desktop in his room. Plus dorms are small, you don't want to take up space with a whole extra tower, and you'll have to move it a few times a year (summers, fall break, Christmas break, spring break, etc.). Moving becomes a pain in the arse real quick in college!

Hope this helps a little!!

allison.

aaron.lee2006

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Absolutely a laptop...so many wireless access points on college campuses these days. He'll want to take it to the library, the coffee shop, classes, outside and everywhere else for group projects, convenient access to other resources, and changes of scenery.

Just get him a secure cable lock to help prevent it from being stolen and he'll be fine.

I absolutely agree. A good laptop is all a college student will need. The MacBook Pro for me serves as a desktop for me aswell. So when I'm out I always have it with me, but when I'm home it is plugged into speakers, iPod, ethernet, and power. In my opinion all he will need is a laptop.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
why is he going pro?
is it becuase he jsut has to have the best, like he just has to have the top of the line? the whole "i dont really need it, it'd be cool, plus i'd have the pride having a pro machine"

anyways, you REALLY REALLY should get a notebook and a wireless router. i'm in college and i love having my macbook with wireless internet, in the lounge, in other people's rooms.
becuase when dorming you dont stay in your room, you're constantly all over the place,
and from experience, i can say that the best thing to do is get a macbook and a cheap wireless router (or if you dont want to be cheap, get a airport extreme, $200)

while dorming, lots of times you find yourself on the bed with your macbook. my macbook rarely ever met the desk if i wasn't doing homework.
even if you decided not to go wireless, a macbook is definitly a good choice

plus its hell moving a desktop comuter into a dorm, thats for sure. and its nice to take it home for breaks and stuff.

another word of advice: DONT TRY TO DO HOMEWORK ON THE BED.
when your on the bed with you comuter you wind up either on facebook or something else that's not homework.
while studying on the computer, do it at a desk.

i'd say get a macbook black (the ones they sell now are much better than the ones they sold a few months ago), and a wireless router (which come from $30 to $200)

if your dorm doesn't allow wireless routers, just hide the network and hide the router, they wont check.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
MacPro = HUGE OVERKILL

Sounds like he'd be good with a MacBook. The only thing you mentioned that suggested he may need more would be gaming. In that case a MBP or an iMac.

oh oh, if he's into gaming then he probably will be spending 10 hours a day or more playing warcraft (like my brother does)

DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT buy a mighty mouse
it doesn't work with warcraft.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
Go for a portable, definitely. Good for study groups, library, and when his roommate gets on his nerves. It's a great plus that he can take it home with him pretty easily during his breaks. He does have to be extra careful if he's taking it around though. Like, never leave it unattended (duh.) and maybe think about getting a Kensington cable lock. My old roommate in the dorms always had hers locked up around the desk because we'd prop open our door often so people could come by.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Interesting seeing all of the different view points.

For me, if I were 18 again and going into college, I would get a 20 inch iMac for the dorm room and use my Sharp MM20 laptop for class. The MM20 is so small and lightweight (about 2 pounds) and is really handy. Plus it does wireless much better than any portable Mac (MB, MBP, iBook or PB) that I've used or owned.

BTW, all bets are off if Apple introduces something similar to the MM20, say a 12 inch MBP without a built in optical drive. This is one area that I think Apple has a void and could capitalize on this niche if they provided a model such as this. While I love the full sized laptops, it is really handy when you are on the go to take a 10 inch or 12 inch light laptop computer.

Am3822

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Groningen, The Netherlands
To the OP: What subject will your son study at college? Unless he's going to use his computer for some intensive graphical/audio/numerical work, I see no point in going beyond an imac / macbook+external screen (note that I have left out gaming -- if gaming is the reason, then let it be said so outright).

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I'm a freshman in college right now and I have a laptop.

Now, he's probably not going to take the laptop to a lecture to take notes, but theres some classes where he will use the laptop to do stuff.

Also, almost all colleges now have wireless across campus so you can get on the network pretty much anywhere.

When you need to go to the library to study or meet somewhere with a group to do a project, you'll need a laptop.. You can't be dragging a desktop to the library when you need to do your homework.

Also, the space in the dorm rooms is very limited, so it would be even tighter if you have a desktop.

Just some small statistics. There's about 75 people on my floor in the dorm room, and there's only one kid that has a desktop. The other 74 all have laptops.

Now, personally, I'd recommend the Macbook Pro 15''. Alot of people are saying you should get a Macbook, but the extra couple inches of screen size does make a big difference. Also, I wouldn't really worry about a huge external monitor or keyboard, because he probably would use it for like the first week and then stop.

I'd recommend you just get him a nice wireless mouse, preferably bluetooth, and maybe a nice set of small speakers for his desk for listening to music. And, get him an extra power supply so he will be able to keep one at his desk and be able to take one if he's going somewhere with the laptop. And make sure he gets a secondary battery.

xparaparafreakx

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
MBP 17" is perfect. Its a desktop replacement and you can bring it with you. I have my MBP 17" in my bag all the time.

Whatever you do, buy the mac during the summer so he can get an iPod for free with it (if they still do that back to school promo)

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
get a macbook. in my opnion, the 15 inch pro is a bit space hogging and with your son likely to be in alot of tight spots the next few years, i suggest getting the smaller macbook, maxing the ram and getting an 20 inch external for the dorm room, unless he needs the larger screen all the time. also, the macbook's battery lasts longer than the pro's as someone else already said. and another thing, the pro's ports are located on both sides of the computer, while the macbooks are on the left side, making it a cleaner connection in that case.

also the keyboard is a biggie. the mb and mbp have a very diffrent keyboard feel, so he should test out both of them at the local apple store and see how he likes them, becuase he is going to be typing on them alot, so it better not be a hassle. i've heard people love the mb keyboard, and some people hate it. its all on personal taste. and the backlit keyboard of the pros isn't really that big of a plus if your son can touch type and won't be in dark places alot.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
England
Laptops are convienient but, if anything, they stop you getting work done. I had one when I was in 6form before I went to uni and I was forever doing ANYTHING but work! When you have all your files etc & wireless Internet wherever you go, it's tempting to just read one more post on MacRumours or download that latest film....But then your son may have plenty of academic drive so it may not be an issue.

Another point is that despite telling yourself that I will take notes with the laptop, it's simply not possible. I can type much quicker than I can write, but it left me with no advantage. There is always a time you need to jot down a quick diagram/graph or your tutor asks you to do a brain storm. You just can't do it easily with a laptop.

My advice, from someone whos been there & got the t-shirt is to get an iMac. You won't be distracted in lectures & it comes with all the benefits of extra screen real estate, better speakers, full size keyboard, proper mouse etc etc. Theres also less chance of it being stolen/broken.

Another good point someone made previously was that most people he knew didn't take their laptops from their rooms and I have to say I agree. Most people I know have a laptop simply because it takes up less space in their rooms (my friends obviously have'nt been aqquainted with an iMac) They still take notes the traditional way with a pen and paper. With iMacs taking up less area (footprint) on your desk than a laptop, it seems the ideal choice.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Just some random stats first...
  • Everybody I know in my dorm except for a handful have laptops.
  • Everybody I know who takes their laptop to lecture takes it to play games/surf on. I very rarely see people actually using them to aid their understanding of a subject in lecture, or if they are looking at notes, they're also typing on IM.
  • Desktops take up too much space (the exceptions are the mac mini and iMac)
  • Most of the time you don't do work on the computer.
  • Laptops are more handy than desktops for collaboration and meeting with other students. like 100000000000 times more handy. If you only get one, a laptop is probably a better choice, even if it stays on the desk 99% of the time.

I personally have a 3 year old laptop which is fine for everything I need (first year engineer). I think a small desktop is just as adequate for what you need to do too. a mac pro is overkill, and to some extent so is a macbook pro.

If your kid is a gamer, get him a windows machine for gaming only. If not, a MBP would work fine, as would a macbook which is more portable.

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2005
Get him a MacBook Pro / or tell him to choose the MacBook Pro (i'm not sure whose buying). But if he is, you should pick up a nice monitor (i have a 22" gateway connected to my MacBook Pro) really sweet combination.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.