Best downloadable OS's

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by guitarmaster18, Apr 25, 2007.

1. guitarmaster18 macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

So, I have downloaded Ubuntu and am running it on my macbook, and I am looking for some more free linux OS's. Do you reccommend any?

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Fedora's pretty nice, Gentoo is coming along quite well. OpenSuSE I think they've fixed to work with Apple. There's more out there you just gotta look.

Once ReactOS starts moving faster, it'll be good. SkyOS looks good (not free though), I wanna try that OS bad, its nifty- graphical wise.

3. guitarmaster18 thread starter macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

4. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Download and burn to a CD using Disk Utility then restart holding C before the chime till it boots into the installer

5. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

Ubuntu is great for beginners... Try installing Beryl and XGL with emerald themes.

The UI is pretty, well pretty.

6. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Best way to try (and probably use, in general) is to get the free VMWare Beta, or Parallels, and run it virtually. The install process is much faster since you can set the VM to read the iso on disk as a CD instead of actually burning to a CD and reading that, plus, obviously, the ability to just delete it if you don't like it.

7. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Use opensuse, and for something close to itunes use songbird, or if you want to use itunes download crossover office, and cedega for windows games. Opensuse is one of the best supported and easy to get software and drivers for.

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

i disagree, ubuntu has one of the biggest communities around for all sorts of things.

personally i'm a gentoo fan, portage is godly (think bsd ports). slackware is second, just a bitch to use sometimes.