Best drive for 2011 MBP on Newegg?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesterscourt, Jul 7, 2011.

1. jesterscourt, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

jesterscourt macrumors regular

13" base model here, love it, but need more space.

Best drive/bang for your buck as 5400 that is confirmed to be fitting and working in this model?
    How about a 7200 RPM model? Battery hit super noticeable? Loud?

I have seen many threads as of late, I prefer Western Digital in my prior experience, but I can be persuaded!

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

there's not really a "best" tbh.

i would just recommend a scorpio blue (5400) or black (7200) based on reviews and the 3-yr warranty is alright. any reputable brand would be alright - wd, hitachi, etc. that new samsung 1tb drive is apparently really nice too.

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

Seagate Momentus XT if you value fast booting and application launching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilB79hv6bfg

It's totally quiet but it does take a hit on battery life.

Scorpio Black can often cause vibrations and it's isn't good for battery life either.

If you want 5400rpm go for Samsung 1TB M8. It's faster than any WD 5400rpm drive.

4. jesterscourt thread starter macrumors regular

Philflow, do you have Momentus? I'm reading reviews, and it sounds great, aside from the vibration (is there a way to help balancing it?) and the battery hit (losing an hour or so off of 7 hours isn't bad, cutting it in half would be terrible..)

5. Philflow macrumors 65816

Yes I'm running a Momentus XT now.

Last year I reviewed the drive for Notebookreview. The sample I had back then was quite noisy and vibrating. The one I have now is totally silent.

Power consumption in idle is very good, it's during more intense usage that it sips more power. It's about an hour max. that you might loose compared to the stock drive I expect.

I also have a Crucial M4 256GB here but I can't justify the costs. During my (light) usage the experience is very similar to the XT. The M4 is a little faster here and there but the differences are too small to justify the 4 times price.

If you want to see another review check this one. There's not many reviews online that show the real world performance of the XT. It's performance is pretty impressive in my opinion.

[​IMG]