Best drives for thunderbolt RAID array connected to Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cbt3, Sep 29, 2015.

1. cbt3 macrumors member

I have an OWC thunderbay 4, and am looking to get some good drives with it to run a 4 drive RAID 5 array, hooked up to my Mac Pro (Late 2013). I was looking at 4x 4TB WD Red Drives, or Seagate's Equivalent NAS HDD; they are designed for RAID, but then I saw teh RPM was listed at 5400RPM? Isn't that notebook HDD speed? Am I better off getting WD Black drives? or better yet WD RE/SE enterprise drives? I am a video editor and looking to work with large files in FCP/Premiere/After Effects. I want the fastest data rate possible with redundancy so I don't lose any files if a drive crashes.

Any thoughts on this appreciated.

2. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502

satinsilverem2

If you are looking for all out speed and have the money use solid state drives. Ive been using the two of the 4TB WD Red drives for about 6 months now and they are plenty fast in RAID 0 averaging around 320 MB/s. The WD Black drives would be noisier and run hotter and in my experience they aren't all that much faster. If you are set on a 7200RPM drive then I would look at the 4TB HGST Deskstar drive. They are very fast and have bulletproof reliability.

3. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

It's not rare to see 5400 rpm drives meant for NAS units, because the link speeds (ethernet) and the way most people use a NAS don't require fast drives. For your OWC unit that's not the case.

I have the same unit, and I'm using 2 Hitachi 4 TB 7200 rpm drives in it (as working drives), a 4 TB Seagate 5400 (or is it 5900?) drive for Time Machine, and a 1 TB SSD. It's proven to be a good combination. The Hitachis are not in any RAID configuration.

4. cbt3 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I need speed and storage since HD video accumulates in size very quickly. I would not be able to cost effictly run a 12TB of storage on SSDs.
    Ideally I would want to array running at at least 500 mb/s r/w. If I can do that with the Red drives that is probably fine if they are better suited for RAID; although looking at those 4TB HGST Deskstar drives now, I might be willing to pay a little more to get a little extra speed boost if they are also RAID peak performance.

5. Zipski macrumors newbie

i have stardom 4bay thunderbolt 4x4gb seagate enterprise raid 0 it runs over 550+mb/s
    4k raw from bmcc in da vinci runs ok

6. cbt3 thread starter macrumors member

I am a little leery about running a 4 drive RAID0, I would really want to run a RAID5 for the data redundancy.

7. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

Which drive model? Seagate has many different enterprise disks.