Best drop protective case for iphone X?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by anitak1982, Nov 11, 2017.

1. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I cannot find a thread if this has been asked before, forgive me if it has.

I have read how that the iphone X, glass front and back are easily cracked. I ordered a case from Otterbox. I got a commuter as it was at the time the only pink case I saw. I wish the new phones were still offered in rose gold but I don't see this as an option in the 8 series or X. But since these phone need cases for protection I guess the color of them isn't that important since they will be covered.

So here is my question. What case can you buy that offers the best drop protection and isn't an ugly black case?

I also ordered screen protectors for it too.

My phone won't be here till Dec 1st

2. skyyo macrumors member

I don't understand why Apple doesn't just build the phone with built in case. I'm sure 9/10 people put cheap plastic cases on them. It really makes no sense at all. Everyone is fanatical about the materials made with and design of a new phone and then we put cheap $10 case on them.. its hilarious...

3. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I didn't pay $10, Otterbox cases are more than that. On the Otterbox website they run more than what I found on ebay. I still paid $30 for it. It is both silicone and plastic

4. skyyo macrumors member

I guess you don't get my point... Otterbox is even more funny. Huge case on the iphone covering up any design it may have once had.

5. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I cannot spend $1000 on a phone and it break the first time it gets dropped. I have no choice. Not hilarious to me but actually scary that it could break even with the case on it. Is there a better case than Otterbox. Below is a photo of the case I have

Attached Files:

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Otter box offers the best protection but turns the X into a larger bar of soap. If you are the type that drops often, you have little choice.

7. skyyo macrumors member

If you drop your phone a lot Applecare + is the best option.

8. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

You are so right and yes I am clumsy but also have a three year old grandson I babysit daily for that has been known to get my hold of my phone.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 11, 2017 ---
    I agree. I was going to go with Verizon and get their insurance but it would have been more than just going with the Apple Upgrade program with Apple Care

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I’m not a fan of OtterBox. Knock on wood I don’t drop my phone too much so I get a Spigen Airskin or Caudabe Veil or a NativeUnion Clic Air.

Those are the 3 cases I would use if I were to use a case. Otherwise I can’t understand bulking up a phone that you paid $1000 for ... aesthetics is one of my main reasons for wanting an X.

If I put a life proof or a OtterBox on it then the aesthetics are gone... I can’t live with that, but I can live with AppleCare+

Attached Files:

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I had an Otterbox Commuter but it didn't seem that protective. The sides near the volume and power buttons were just flimsy rubber. I could easily see myself tripping and the force hitting the ground would push the sides away from the phone. (I saw this from experience with a different case, different phone). Returned the Commuter.

I have an UnderArmour Stash right now. Hard plastic, bit overpriced, but can't find anything else I like or trust. It's made by Incipio.

BestBuy has the Speck Presidio line 1/2 price right now. The Presidio Ultra is a monster of a case if that is what you are looking for. Too bulky for my preferences. I tried out the Presidio Sport. Not a bad case but the side button are way too hard to press which made it a "no sale" for me.

11. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I normally don’t plug the more expensive cases but seriously try a loopy case! One handed operation is awesome plus you can loop it around your finger when your hands are full. I have to take it off to use the wireless charger but it’s seriously an awesome case.
    I normally have like 10 cases for a phone. This time I bought only two and the go to is always the loopy. Try it :)
    Then you don’t get this giant obnoxious case.

12. Martyimac, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

Martyimac macrumors 68000

Martyimac

13. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Where can you purchase it, is it clear, is it light?

Link please.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

15. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I am a very small woman, just 4'10 and ridiculously child size hands and only wear a size 3 in children's shoes to give you an idea. Would the loopy even work for me? I keep thinking it would only be on the tips of my fingers when on an iphoneX

16. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

I have pretty small hands and it works great for me. Maybe you could email them?

17. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Otterboxndefender, but this x series is different. It doesn’t have the screen protector, which nice because i got zagg shield. If you don’t care about bulky or whatever, but care about protection i would recommend this.

18. AE14 macrumors 68000

AE14

I would agree. I️ really like the new defender without the screen

19. Viper2005, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017

Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I’ve had the Spigen Ultra Hybrid since my 7+ and now have one on my X. It has a rubber transparent bumper and a clear hard back.
    My 7+ survived several drops into hard floors with the Ultra Hybrid! Haven’t dropped my X yet, fortunately.

[​IMG]

20. jlczl macrumors 6502

21. jlczl macrumors 6502

Here’s a competition video I uploaded to my YouTube channel, TECH-FIGHTER which happens to include the red UAG Monarch:

22. anitak1982 thread starter macrumors 6502

anitak1982

Pretty but wish it was pink.

23. AE14 macrumors 68000

AE14

I am not a huge UAG guy but the ash plyo looks nice as does the black out monarch

24. kingston73 macrumors 6502a

kingston73

I honestly think the most protective case without bulk by far is rhinoshield. Either the mod or the playproof or solid suit. Their crashguard is pretty bulky but the others are thinnner than all but the most minimalist cases and there are tons of youtube videos with people abusing the cases to ridiculous levels and the phone still survives.

MobileReviewsEh post an iphone 8 video of the mod case where he throws the phone up about 15-20 feet and the only damage is the screen popped out but didn't crack.

25. Cremerhm macrumors 6502

Which rhinoshield bumper is the thinnest?