Best Dual Hard Drive Setup To Date?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chris Travels, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Chris Travels, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

Chris Travels macrumors newbie

Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read my thread. I am currently doing some research on installing a duel hard drive setup on my late 2011 MBP. I am currently running 2.4 Ghz, i5 over clocked with 16GB ram. I was looking into running a SSD (1TB?) for my adobe/editing programs and a large (largest I can find) HDD for my storage. The reason I am looking for a very large HDD is because I travel nearly full time and find myself storing a very large amount of content until I get time to sit down and edit.

From my research samsung produces the best SSD and WD produces some decent HDD. Any thoughts or suggestions on these drives?

I have also found that the tray that replaces my CD drive can be the cheaper prices tray as it works perfectly fine.

Is there anything I should be concerned about with this year of MBP or relating to my current setup?

I have a youtube channel that helps me pay for this so the $ really isn't a issue. I just want a very solid setup if I am going to commit.

Thanks again for your time,

Chris

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Having your hard drives duel, will just lead to premature failure and data loss.

4. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

I prefer to joust with my hard drives. ;)

--------------------

To make my post useful, I find that BOOTING off a Solid State and storing large files on a hard drive is best. My friend's MBP uses an SSD in the main HD slot and a 2TB HDD in the optical drive bay for storage. However, if you say money is not an issue, SSDs will outperform any spinner on the market.

5. Chris Travels thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, I am going to blame that on auto correct :)

6. omvs macrumors 6502

Have you considered a fusion setup? It won't be quite as fast as a pure SSD, but it sure makes management easier since you don't need to segregate your programs/data/etc among multiple partitions - the OS will migrate data back and forth depending on your usage. Apple fusion setups generally pair a 128G SSD with a multi-terrabyte drive, though I've been running a 240G SSD + 1.5TB HD setup -- bigger the SSD, the more fast storage you'll have. 1 TB might be bigger than you need, though with todays prices it might make sense.

You definitely want backups in that case though -- if either drive goes down in the fusion, the array is broken and I wouldn't plan on recovering data. So I'd suggest also a big-*** time machine drive.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. omvs macrumors 6502

I don't think he can put 4 SSD's in a MacBookPro (thread is probably in the wrong forum :)