Best dual monitor desktop computer from apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thesk1llerz, May 7, 2010.

1. thesk1llerz macrumors member

thesk1llerz

I would to get a desktop(in the future) from apple using 2 non-apple screens and i would like to know which one handles this the best.
    I am open to all suggestions and have a budget at about $3 - 5 grand
    ty

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac Mini and Mac Pro.

But aren't your other needs also important, as a Mac Mini is not as powerful as a Mac Pro, but maybe a Mac Mini would suffice your computational needs?

www.apple.com/mac gives you a list of current Macs. All other Macs I haven't listed have their own display build in and don't really support two extra external displays without additional hardware.

3. thesk1llerz thread starter macrumors member

thesk1llerz

I would like two displays so I can do some simple browsing in one and watch a video or do some school work, graphics editing, video editing, programing a little but more then casual use on the other. I am doing all these things on 1 screen and I find it cramped.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What kind of video and graphics editing? For work or for yourself? If it is the latter, the Mac Mini is capable of doing that. The Mac Pro might be overkill.

Also take a look here, http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/, as the Mac Mini and Mac Pro haven't been updated in a while and the Mac Pro is expected to be updated in the next months. The Mac Mini though might wait a while longer until it gets updated.

But if you are willing to spend so much money on one home machine for such small task, a Mac Pro won't bail on you that easily.

5. thesk1llerz thread starter macrumors member

thesk1llerz

Atm its just some light editing here and there but the video editing is sometimes pretty intensive. I would also do some occasional gaming on it. Run the game on one screen and do some browsing or watch a video on the other.
    Say I for the Mac Pro and use non-apple screens(about $200) and any adapters I need (I am new to mac so I have no idea) any idea how much that would cost??
    thanks for all the help so far.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As far as I know, many game titles can only be played full screen, so you might not be able to do both at the same time.

A Mac Pro would handle games better though, as it has a dedicated GPU.
    The current MPs have miniDisplayPort GPUs, so you either need displays with that connector or get the miniDisplayPort to DVI adapter from Apple (30USD) or www.monoprice.com (less than 30USD).

To find out the price of a Mac Pro, go to the Apple Online Store and see for yourself, as the Mac Pro can be configured in a lot of ways.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. MacSignal macrumors regular

Mac Mini or Mac Pro will do two non-apple monitors, but for playing games or the possibility of doing more ambitious video editing, Mac Pro may be better suited to your needs. Using an iMac that can support a second monitor is another option to consider.