best dvd burner for older mac pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jeeplj8, Oct 9, 2014.

1. jeeplj8 macrumors member

I have an "early 2008" Mac Pro with a Pioneer DVR-127D that makes a pretty horrible noise and no longer read or write.

What is the best unit to replace it with?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Pick a random DVD-R drive, it'll work.

For maximum compatibility, pick another Pioneer.

3. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^Actually, that's not quite true. The 2008 (3,1) Mac pro Optical Drive interface is Ultra ATA/100 not SATA as in later Mac Pros. I don't think you can find a DVD with that interface today. You may need something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/PATA-SATA-Serial-Converter-Adapter/dp/B001MW926I

Also, my recent experiences with Pioneer Optical Drives have been very poor.

Lou

4. crjackson2134, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  5. jeeplj8 thread starter macrumors member

so would I be better off finding an ATA DVD burner (which is older tech) or going with a SATA converter?

Actually, now I am more confused...does this allow me to convert both optical bays to SATA...if so then could I place a HDD in one bay? Or conversely, could I add a SATA board and cabling in a PC slot to control an optical drive?

can you see the smoke coming from ears as my brain tries to spin to full speed?:eek:

6. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^Well, it seems like Jackson has the perfect solution. I wasn't aware that ATA interface Drives were still available.

Lou

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I should mention that the early 2008 MacPro has unused SATA ports on the logic board. It's not a difficult task to change out the ATA optical drive to an SATA model. No ATA to SATA converter needed.

8. jeeplj8 thread starter macrumors member

that sounds like a great solution. what all would I need?

It seams it is hard to find all that many tech articles on these older machines these days.