best dvd burning software for mac air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mikecenizal, Nov 9, 2008.

1. mikecenizal macrumors member

finally got a superdrive for my mac air and i would like to start using it to back up dvds. this is my first mac but i have a lot of experience burning and ripping dvd's with pc's. so my question is what is a good program that will allow me to rip dvd's for my iphone and copy dvd's? i want the simplest program to use and does not have to be freeware, as long as it doesnt cost an arm and a leg.

thanks
    mike

2. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

3. ducatidoc macrumors regular

ducatidoc

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Attention: Handbrake rips DVDs and then encodes to another video format. it does not provide a ripped Video_TS folder to be burned! this is how you rip a DVD to iPod format.

to backup a DVD use MacTheRipper to rip the DVD to an unencrypted Video_TS folder and then use Toast to burn it to a DVD.

5. jdwingnut macrumors regular

Mactheripper - free

Handbrake - free

Toast - about $80

MTR will rip most DVD's to a TS file. Not sure about Bluray

Handbrake is for encoding to a format of your choice (in most cases)

and Toast is burning software from Roxio. Latest version says it will even burn to Bluray but I can not personally verify this.

Most free Mac software can be found through this website, www.versiontracker.com

6. mikecenizal thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies guys. but yeah i already used handbrake on my pc's and i was really looking for something to burn dvd's with. i guess im gonna have to take the plunge and buy toast...

7. jecoy2011, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

jecoy2011 macrumors newbie

There are lots of burning software you can get nowadays and they are very user friendly. Some you can get it for free and some are for sale. Try Google handbrake as your DVD burning software. Runs well to me, it should works fine with you too.

8. ovrkast macrumors newbie

Don't buy Toast...too pricey! I currently use Burn and it's solid, intuitive, and mostly importantly free. Here is the link:

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

9. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Toast sucks ass. I've backed up my dvds for years.

Mac DVD Ripper Pro. Used it for a VERY long time. Great software. Cheap.

Do it.

10. Sheet macrumors member

Same here! Got it from the last Mac bundle - simple, easy to use, works great.
    And as far as I can tell it is faster than Handbrake.

11. ATC macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

For copying DVDs I used to use DVDFab for windows (loved it) and when I switched to Mac the only one that came close to it was RipIt. It's fairly cheap, works great and super easy to use too.