Best DVD Compressor

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by julienko3, Nov 19, 2008.

1. julienko3 macrumors regular

Hey. I have a movie I'd like to put on a DVD that is 7.5 gigs. I'd like to compress it to fit on a regular DVD (4.7 gigs) without losing quality. I'd rather compress than burn to a DVD DL, which is a hassle for me.
    What is the best program for this? I am willing to pay as much as I have to for the best program.

Thanks.

2. TheZA macrumors regular

You will likely get a lot of different opinions about that. Personnally, I've always used DVD2OneX (AKA: DTOX) and have no complaints. It works very well with Mac The Ripper. A lot of folks seem to like Toast.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

I agree with TheZA in that you will get a lot of opinions, but a lot of people do like DVD2OneX's compression. I have tried both Toast and it and I personally cannot see the compression quality differences that people claim so will just have to take their word on that.

The reason I still prefer and recommend Toast 9 overall is that I find DVD2OneX to be pretty much a "one trick pony" in that it is just directed towards what it does well. Toast has so many more capabilities (making custom Video-DVDs, various data disc creation options, ISO support, Blu Ray and HD-DVD support etc.) that even if I could detect the compression quality differences myself I would probably stick with it for flexibility. Unless the differences were huge of course! ;)

Another compressor that I have not tried but wanted to mention is called DVDRemaster. It comes up on video threads pretty often so might be something you want to take a look at.

BTW- while you said you want to compress it "without losing quality" that is really not an option. Any compression will result in a lower quality image than the original- it is just a matter of how much lower and to what degree you can detect it with the naked eye. All that being said- with DL disks having come down to under $1 each I still prefer that solution the most since no compression is involved in the first place! You can buy quite a few DL disks for the price either applicaton above! ;)

4. julienko3 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the recommendations. I had no clue Toast could that. Thanks again.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yep- that and a lot more. You might want to check out the Toast 9 page for full capabilities. Just don't buy it there should you decide to buy- since Amazon offers it for the same price as Roxio but with no mail-in rebate hassles necessary for the $79 price.

6. nanvinnie macrumors regular

by compressing, aren't you automatically losing quality? be it audio or video?

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Absolutely true. That is why I brought that up to the OP in post #3! ;)