Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Guzaking

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
I don't know if this goes into the Home Theater section but my intent is to rip 300+ DVD's that I have onto a Mac Mini for my media center with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 OSX with never updating.

I have looked into many many and many DVD Rippers on the market but can't find anything that produces good results, not even close to the original DVD quality. I need a Ripper that work with 10.6.8 and is going to output good, crisp, clear definition movies. Any good, proven suggestions?

pwhitehead

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2011
new jersey
I don't know if this goes into the Home Theater section but my intent is to rip 300+ DVD's that I have onto a Mac Mini for my media center with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 OSX with never updating.

I have looked into many many and many DVD Rippers on the market but can't find anything that produces good results, not even close to the original DVD quality. I need a Ripper that work with 10.6.8 and is going to output good, crisp, clear definition movies. Any good, proven suggestions?

Mpeg Streamclip is really good, its free and easy to use. Load your dvd in the drive. Go to file>load dvd and you can export as any file type you need to.

Guzaking

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2015
Mpeg Streamclip is really good, its free and easy to use. Load your dvd in the drive. Go to file>load dvd and you can export as any file type you need to.

MPEG Streamclip doesn't work to rip DVD's, I use that program for trim and cut, but when I "Open DVD..." under the file drop down it doesn't highlight any of the files from the DVD in the SuperDrive, so I don't think its possible to import them unless I'm doing something wrong? There is no load dvd under that drop down menu.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009

I like SouthPole Software's iVI Pro. They have a version that works with 10.6 and in addition to ripping it will add cover art and metadata. At $10 it's well worth it for the ease of use and conversion quality. My only complaint is you can't auto number TV episodes so I have to do them individually; which isn't hard but it would be nice to be able to pick an episode start number and have it sequentially number all the following episodes.

http://www.southpolesoftware.com/iVI/iVI.php

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I just use Handbrake - never noticed any major quality issues, except with a couple of very old rips on now very old versions of Handbrake. Maybe I'm just not as picky lol.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
When you say "rip" do you mean you want to do an ISO rip to preserve the original disk structure (so that you can re-burn if need be) or do you want to generate an .mp4 (or whatever) file to stream? I like to keep the original .iso image or vob structure of my DVD's or Blu-Rays around in case I want to make an extract from a video for my portable devices using Cinematize Pro or Cinematize Pro HD. I learned this the hard way. I can't find my original Lady Gaga Monster Tour Blu-Ray and I only kept part of the .iso so I don't have the crucial .m2ts file to extract one of the songs for my portable devices.

For the original rip I've used MacTheRipper for years with few issues (other than the somewhat convoluted way of obtaining it - see rip different.com). $10 donation suggested. Mac DVDRipper Pro (which was available on a MacUpdate Promo bundle a while back) also seems to work. MakeMKv for Blu-Rays.

Where it gets tricky is what you do with it afterward. In my case I stream to an Oppo BDP-105D which handles all media conversions that I throw at it (such as DTS-MA) so I don't have to worry about doing any transcoding on the server. I moved to the Oppo after getting fed up with the Playstation 3 I was using. It kept giving either DNLA errors or unknown media type errors. Are you planing to watch on your computer, or on your home theater?

The major problem I still struggle with is the Media Server on the Mac side to provide the streaming. The best and most reliable server I have used for years is the playback server. Just point it to the directory and it goes. However, it has been discontinued. I am currently working with the Plex server but haven't totally made up my mind about it. It doesn't recognize the .vob or .bdvm structures so I have to do some manipulation so they're seen by the server. And when you make a change updates take forever before you see them, even on an extremely fast machine.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
MakeMKV is free and spits out full uncompressed high quality mkv files from the DVDs and Blu-Rays. Easy files to throw back into Handbrake if you want to encode them down to mp4 or whatever.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
Handbrake for me, works a treat.

You need VLC too to provide the DVD Stream tools, but just fire up Handbrake and select the DVD Drive and off you go.

I ripped over 700 DVDs with it, into mp4 and then into iTunes

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Handbrake for me, works a treat.

You need VLC too to provide the DVD Stream tools, but just fire up Handbrake and select the DVD Drive and off you go.

I ripped over 700 DVDs with it, into mp4 and then into iTunes

I've been using Handbrake for years. But the whole process seems to take a long time. I have less than 100 DVDs that I have ripped. I can't imagine doing 700. Is there a secret that makes it go faster?

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Is there a secret that makes it go faster?

A very fast disc drive and a real multiprocessor/multicore machine, like a dual processor Mac Pro. I've had handbrake max out my 16 cores of my MacPro 2009. El Gato used to make a hardware dongle to speed up MP4 conversion, not sure if that is still available/works fast.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
A very fast disc drive and a real multiprocessor/multicore machine, like a dual processor Mac Pro. I've had handbrake max out my 16 cores of my MacPro 2009. El Gato used to make a hardware dongle to speed up MP4 conversion, not sure if that is still available/works fast.

Can you give me a number? For instance, with the MacPro 16 core what was the average time to rip a 2 hour movie?

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
I've been using Handbrake for years. But the whole process seems to take a long time. I have less than 100 DVDs that I have ripped. I can't imagine doing 700. Is there a secret that makes it go faster?

Time. I didn't do them all at once.

I had three machines ripping DVDs at one point. The fastest one has been my Mac Mini 2012 with a external superdrive.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
MakeMKV is free and spits out full uncompressed high quality mkv files from the DVDs and Blu-Rays. Easy files to throw back into Handbrake if you want to encode them down to mp4 or whatever.

My install came up wanting a registration number, and the site said $50.00. I don't think it's free anymore, or I'm doing something wrong.

----------

Can you give me a number? For instance, with the MacPro 16 core what was the average time to rip a 2 hour movie?

Early 09 Mac Pro, dual quads, fast drive, 16g RAM, takes between 10 minutes, and 35-ish...

Example: Ghost in the Shell, 1hour 22min movie, took 15 minutes to rip via HandBrake.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
edited due to the question I asked being answered by myself.........

Last edited:

AmazingRobie

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
MPEG Streamclip doesn't work to rip DVD's, I use that program for trim and cut, but when I "Open DVD..." under the file drop down it doesn't highlight any of the files from the DVD in the SuperDrive, so I don't think its possible to import them unless I'm doing something wrong? There is no load dvd under that drop down menu.
What did you eventually end up using to rip. I'm in the same boat. 10.6.8 FOR LIFE!!! Not many people understand how precious/powerful that OS is even still today. I'm done with CrApple. I've got two machines on 10.6.8 in case one ever stops working, both super fast and responsive. I rip using 'Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate' to 'ProRes Proxy or LT' for my DVD backups when space is not an option and when I'm trying to maintain high quality on standard def tv shows, but the files sizes and 2-3Gb per 25min program, which is too large for a tv series that has 145 episodes. Anything smaller than 2-3Gb looks like compressed junk. I need a good ripper that deinterlaces and doesn't compress the footage all to heck.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Most use a ripper to extract the video from the disk and then handbrake to compress while maintaining quality. ~600 MB for a 60 minute SD TV show using their AppleTv presets. If you strip out the commercials, you save another 15-20% in file size.

I have one machine running 10.6.8 just for legacy software. It is a nice stable OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.