Best DVD to iPad Conversion Method

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dztvtechie, Aug 8, 2011.

1. dztvtechie macrumors newbie

I'm sure there have been plenty of forum posts about this in the past, but I'm trying figure out the best method to convert my DVDs into the iPad format. Basically, I'm trying to find a format that will be good enough for network streaming at home to my PS3 and WDTV, but will also be supported on an iPad that I will probably purchase within the next year or so. I have both Toast and Handbrake on my Mac which can convert from the VIDEO_TS folders. I wasn't too impressed with Toast's iPad preset. Can anyone recommend their custom presents for Toast, Handbrake, or something similar? I imagine that a 2 pass encode will help. Size isn't a huge issue, I'm gonna eventually going to throw them on a network media server to house them. Thanks.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I usually convert the resolution to the same ratio as the iPads 1024x768 well actually I don't convert much for the iPad but that's what I do with the iPhone except in 960x640 every once and while though I prefer encoding in 720p if possible. Since DVD's don't even touch 960x640 resolution wise convert the resolution to the same ratio as 1024x768 (iPad resolution) to do that just divide 1024x768 and you'll get 1.3333 so fined a resolution that you can convert to from the DVD that will fit that ratio. Most DVD's are in 720x480 format 768x576 so you won't be able to encode it in anything higher than that really but find something lower that has the same ratio. You'll have to go into custom settings I use handbrake fyi and deselect keep ratio. Then hit preview and it will encode a sample of the video and give you an idea of what the final video will look like. Hope that helps.