Best DVD to iTouch software?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tony414, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Tony414 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am new here. I did a quick search but having difficulty locating what I am looking for. It's very simple. I would like some opinions on what the best DVD to iTouch software is? Something simple with minimal steps would be great. Thoughts?

Thank you,
    Tony

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

3. cytoxyn macrumors regular

cytoxyn

4. Tony414 thread starter macrumors newbie

Stupid me! I didn't post what I use. I mean for a Windows sytems. I wish I had a Mac too but I don't. I do remember DVDfab. You've had luck with that? I guess I should have stated this too. Something that will take DVD movies and play them on the touch?

Thanks,
    Tony

5. transmaster, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

If I can not give free advice about software I will not give any at all. If you want good advice from knowledgeable people go to the Apple forum at Broadband reports.

6. dmunz macrumors regular

I've been using tools4movies DVD Catalyst or it's predicessors for years. (I actually started using to rip things for a Palm.) It is a one stop-deal (drop the DVD in and out pops a file you can import into iTunes and does a great job for the touch. Its not fast just shy of 1:1 on my machine:

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2350 4.8 3.4
    Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Graphics ATI Radeon X1200 Series
    Windows 7 Professional
    Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    Model GA-MA69GM-S2H

I just downloaded the update to version 4 so that may help and I'm still trying to sort out how to best rip for both the touch and iPad. DVD Catalyst will allow you to stack rips so you can go through once for a set of settings and then back through for a second set, but that is really innefficient. I suspect there is a sweatspot that will work for both devices and I just have not found it yet.

I'm actually considering switching to a new MBP, but I don't know enough about the ripping software on OSX so that is holding me back.

FWIW
    DLM

7. nanderson97 macrumors newbie

I would recommend Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php). I have been using it for a while to put movies on my iPod classic and iPod touch.
    It works well and there are many ways to customize the way the video turns out or you can choose a preset option for quick encoding.

8. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Handbrake is a good tool, and here I also would recommend you to use Leawo DVD to iPod Converter (http://www.leawo.com/dvd-to-ipod-converter/), powerful and easy-to-use. You can find the free version in this link laso, I suggest you to use free version at first and then use the pro version according to your need.;)

9. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I'll second this recommendation. It works quite adequately in Windows. It works a little bit more smoothly on a Mac, but HandBrake on both platforms create files that work equally well on iPod touch (or iPad, or Apple TV, etc.).

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

11. keviavuz78 macrumors newbie

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual Core Processor BE-2350 4.8 3.4
    Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Graphics ATI Radeon X1200 Series
    Windows 7 Professional
    Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    Model GA-MA69GM-S2H

I just downloaded the update to version 4 so that may help and I'm still trying to sort out how to best rip for both the touch and iPad. DVD Catalyst will allow you to stack rips so you can go through once for a set of settings and then back through for a second set, but that is really innefficient. I suspect there is a sweatspot that will work for both devices and I just have not found it yet.

bookkeeping services

12. jutte64 macrumors regular

those of you using handbrake.. does it take foreeevveerr to go through a dvd? i start the process and it comes up and says 35-50 hours to complete, and never really drops in time... i let it go for a couple hours last night and it was only 8% done and still said 31 hours to go... i have a windows 7 on my lap top, its a newer laptop never had anything run this slow on it before.. i just wanna be able to put movies on my ipad and iphone...

13. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

HandBrake is very, very processor intensive. It will take every bit of power your processor can throw at it, and more. If your "newer" laptop is based on a lower-power processor like an Intel Centrino or Pentium-M, then HandBrake will indeed work slowly. If you have a desktop with a more powerful processor available, use it instead.

One way to speed up a HandBrake conversion is to choose a smaller-resolution preset rather than the default preset settings. If you're wanting nice quality in a small file size, you can't go wrong with the iPhone/iPod Touch preset, which looks great on iPhone and not half bad on iPad.

14. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

It ceases to amaze me why people still call it iTouch.

15. McDughf macrumors regular

Well it still irritates me... :0/