Best DVDs (4x, 24x?) to use with My Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gfhoward, Oct 19, 2009.

1. gfhoward macrumors member

Hey guys, been looking around the 'net and this forum, and the topic is pretty confusing. Assuming I go with DVD-Rs (looks like that's the better choice), then what write speed would work best with my Mac Pro drive? I just bought the Mac Pro this month, so its got whatever superdrive they're using right now. Should I get 4x discs, 12x discs, 24x discs? Which will give me the best performance, speed, and data integrity with my drive?

I read somewhere it's good to match DVDs to the burn speed of the drive to minimize data corruption. But the Superdrive looks like it can burn in multiple speeds. A little help form you burners out there! Thanks

2. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

I seriously doubt any congruency issues w/speed.
    As for quality, you will have fewer coasters if you use Japanese discs. Taiyo Yueden are the best, but can be hard to find/pricey.
    Stay away from Chinese discs. Taiwanese are acceptable.

"They'rel all like that. If you wanna get laid, you gotta get yourself a Protestant. A Jew's good."

3. bigbird macrumors 6502

What kind of racist crap is this?

4. gfhoward thread starter macrumors member

Let's stay on topic please. Yeah, I know about buying Japanese discs, my main question is what speed to buy. Guys who have done tests on DVDs report fewer corruptions when disc rating is matched to the burn speed of the drive. So I guess what I'm asking is what speed is best to burn on using a Mac Pro in order to have consistently quality discs without errors or corruptions: 4x, 24x, or something in between?