Best E Mail Provider for Apple Products

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jsf721, Mar 5, 2012.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I will be setting up an iPhone 4S for my son. up until now he has used an AOL acccount (not much). Kids really just text. I need to get him an e mail for iCloud and communucation with the real world eventually. What is the best carrier to:

Get push mail (Without buying and exchange server)

Sync calandars and contacts with his iMac and MBP

I am not ruling google out but with this new invasion of provacy policy I am not sure if this is good for a kid who surfs dumb kid-stuff and will need to get into college someday. How will google use this info? Should this bother me or am I paranoid?

2. aristobrat macrumors G5

iCloud accounts come with a push email account, and will sync the contacts and calendars between any Mac running Lion and any iOS device running v5+.

iCloud email can even pull his AOL email over into his iCloud email automatically, if he wants.

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

if the kid just texts, just get him a dumb phone then.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You're paranoid, because every other company (Facebook, Twitter, Apple, Yahoo, etc.) collects the same information that Google does. GMail works just fine.

5. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

I do not want to get all his e mails anymore!

----------

What is an iCloud account? I thought .me was phased out?

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

Check this out:
    http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/calendar-mail-contacts.html

The paid MobileMe service is being replaced by the free iCloud service. iCloud includes (for free) the email, contacts, and calendar services that MobileMe had.

7. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Do you see any issues being do APPLE- APPLE everything. Will it play with other servies OK?

8. LatinGeek macrumors newbie

LatinGeek

9. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have 2 boys

13 and 16 yr old

10. aristobrat macrumors G5

IMO, iCloud's big advantage is that it's drop-dead easy to setup on current Macs/iOS devices, which is because it is an Apple-Apple product.

Google/Microsoft do the same thing, by making their services drop-dead easy to setup on their devices (Android/Windows Phone).

As for iCloud on non Apple devices, it does OK. If you have Windows and are running Outlook 2007+, it's super easy to setup. Googling around, it looks like other programs can be made to access the email. Don't know about the calendar/contacts.

Like gmail/hotmail/yahoo, you can also use a web browser to access your iCloud stuff from just about any computer with an updated browser, via www.icloud.com

11. LatinGeek macrumors newbie

LatinGeek

If the 16 year old is into computers, he might be more interested in a cheaper Android smartphone. If you already got the phone, tho, Gmail is fine. If the phone is for the 13 year old you're a terrible parent.

12. squeakr, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

That comment was so uncalled for. You would really judge someone's parenting ability based on their phone choice???

Either iCloud mail or Gmail should be fine for email. I too question some of Gmail's policies and securities, but many a business and school have gone to Gmail as their main host for email, and they have much more to lose than the average child due to safety and security. The main concern I would have with Gmail is controlling accessibility when needed (such as for punishment).

13. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well both my boys are in all honors AP classes and get great grades. The iPhone is the status symbol kids in my neighbor hood. My boys don't ask for much nor did they ask for these phones. I am happy that I can provide them and it makes them happy. They love the app store.

Lastly the find my iPhone is great for knowing where they are.

Anyway not sure why you posted like you did but I am confident in my parenting ability. I am rasing 2 great kids that are polite, smart, respectful and compassionate. They play a lot of sports and really don't ask for much.

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Google does email better than any other free service.

Compatible with every make & model of computer, smartphone & tablet, Gmail is the one to use.

15. mikewebberross macrumors newbie

mikewebberross

iCLoud

iCloud is a truly amazing set up. Heres the deal...

Get an iCloud email...

This email will connect your calendar, reminders, app store, contacts and much more.

So lets say you have a macbook pro, an iPhone and an iPad. Every time you put an event on your calendar on one device, it shows up on all of them almost instantly and flawlessly.

This also connects all your devices to find my iPhone, so if a device ever gets stolen or you're looking for your kids, you can find them.

This will also work with gmail. You could throw your devices in the ocean, buy all new ones, type in your email and it would be as if you never lost a thing.

Just realized how late I was on this........

16. DramaLLama macrumors 6502

Yeah get an iCloud email address for this stuff obviously... but you don't need to use the @icloud email address.. I feel like that's pretty pointless considering the offerings of gmail and outlook.com and whoever else.

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Sorry some members here are disrespectful. iCloud Mail is fantastic! It is a switch to setup if your boys ever purchase any additional Apple devices, it works well with great reliability, and all ties into iCloud. Can't beat it! I have been using it since January 2013.