Best E-mail Provider?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sikkinixx, Nov 20, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Currently I use hotmail, because I have had it for years and my parents ISP Telus for e-mail. Seeing as I moved out I figure I should switch away from the Telus e-mail because if they move/switch ISP's then I will lose my e-mail (plus they are giving me grief with outgoing mail lately). I wanna keep my hotmail account for more junk kinda stuff and for messenger etc.

So who is a good provider to move my constant e-mail to? I was thinking G-Mail just because I like everything else Google does so I figure they are a safe bet and have POP3 access for Mail.

Any suggestions?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

GMail for sure.

Nice clean, simple and fast web interface, supports POP3 and IMAP for mail clients. 5GB mailbox limit, 20MB send/receive limit, checking of other POP accounts, and all for FREE.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I switched from Gmail to AOL Mail a few months back and it's great. Unlimited storage, POP3 and IMAP, works with Apple Mail...

4. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

why did you switch? Not happy or...?

I just don't wanna pick a crappy one since it sucks to change e-mails...it's like moving

5. iGav macrumors G3

6. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That actually looks good too <signs up> :D

Though I will stick with Gmail.

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I switched from Gmail to AOL as well (or, more accurately, back to AOL). Overall, AOL has more features than Gmail (this was especially true before Gmail started offering IMAP).

9. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

GMail/Google Mail or whatever its called now. I get about 7 e-mails and I never delete any and I have only used up 2% of my space. I have had the account for at least a year. The only problem I have ever had was with sending attachments that are over 20MB, and setting it up for the iPhone Mail app, because my account is a @googlemail.com one and the iPhone only accepts @gmail.com ones for some reason (stupid POS)... Other than that everything else is great, I also got a Firefox extension called GMail Notifier which sits on my toolbar and tells me when I get new emails and lets me read the subject and a few lines of the message right from there.

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Ah I just switched from all things Google.

It never really gave me any problems I don't think, but neither does AOL Mail.

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Gmail is the way to go. And it integrates nicely with Apple Mail. I have 3 different emails, Yahoo for junk and misc. Gmail for more important stuff, and one dedicated for my website. It works nicely.

12. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I use Hotmail for chatting, because everybody uses msn in Belgium, ans mostly Gmail for Email, but also have gmail logged in, into Adium..

13. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I use GMail for MSN. Use just have to set the account up for a .NET passport and your good to go.

14. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I don't understand.. what you mean

15. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Clicky clicky. Do that form and you will be able to use ANY email address you own for MSN.

16. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

?? i already have an hotmail account, and why would i want to use a gmail account in hotmail style,, I don't really understand what you mean..

17. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Im referring to MSN Messenger. I use my GMail account with MSN Messenger (Windows Live Messenger its called now I think, I got a 3rd party client).

18. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

oh, i know that, but that's totally not what i want:p i prefer Adium alot more

19. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Another vote for gmail. I just wish they'd hurry up and enable IMAP on my account!

20. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Best email provider?

Get your own.

I have a couple of my own domains and have them hosted at a company called HostMonster.com, so my mail is to me and only me. I do no maintenance, can have as many email addresses as I want, nobody bugs me about outgoing messages, no spam, can use Mail.app, Entourage or web mail.

It's the absolute best. Not as cheap as Gmail I grant you, but for 60 dollars a year it's completely hassle free.

And, I can host my own website, blog, FTP, you name it.

Cheers.

21. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I had never thought about that....hmmm...

btw, go Canucks go ;)

22. Crash-n-Burn macrumors regular

+1 on having your own. The most professional looking email address you can have.

23. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

If you've got the know-how (or want to learn through practice), then getting your own is definitely the way to go.

If you're looking for the quick & easy way though, gMail all the way!

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can register your own domain for free at AOL.com and get all the benefits of AOL mail with your own, custom email address. ;)

Note: This will prevent you from using the domain as your own personal site, however.

25. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Yeah, can't say enough about having your own. Sure it's a bit more cash, but it's hassle free and like CnB said, super professional.

I use Gmail and Hotmail for Spam, but you can have your own account for Spam too. And if you get a domain name that's generic enough, your family can have addresses too.

Totally the way to go if you can afford the 60$ a year or so.

Cheers.