Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakja83

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I depend on my phone for a lot of office calls during the day and most of them can't be had "openly" with just the watch. But I do have a desire to leave my phone at the desk when I am walking around at work doing other stuff.

So my question is: What would be the best, compact solution for an earpiece to carry in my front pocket (connected to watch) to put in my ear whenever I get a call when I am phoneless? I have a pair of Beats Fit Pro, but they tend to activate/deactivate when one of them is carried caseless in my front pocket.

Any ideas, experience?

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
Ok, they are basically the same as the Beats Fit Pro? Or are they better at differentiating their sensors between skin/ear and the fabric of my jeans/trousers?
Having owned a variety of Beats headphones, charging cases are too bulky for me to carry around. AirPods Pro charging case is much slimmer, easy to fit even in skinny jeans/dedicated smaller pocket that is present in most of the jeans. Noise cancelling, transparency mode and the relatively new adaptive mode that came out with a firmware update are all amazing features that you can switch amongst when the occasion arises. I have been carrying around AirPods since the very first one came out back in 2016. Since you have an Apple Watch, you can use your Apple Watch charger to charge your AirPods, which is an added bonus as you wouldn’t need to carry around another charging cable. My vote would go for AirPods Pro 2.
Edit to address the sensor question: Your experience will be similar. I refrain from carrying the unused pair outside of the charging case. The moment the unused pair thinks that it is being worn (aka the sensor coming in contact with fabric, your fingers, etc.), it messes up an active call, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: jakja83

jakja83

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Thank you.

The regular Airpods do not sit well in my ear, but I do not like the APP going inside the ear canal as well.

I was considering getting a mono-headset to put in my pocket without a battery case, but that is not a convenient idea?

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
Thank you.

The regular Airpods do not sit well in my ear, but I do not like the APP going inside the ear canal as well.

I was considering getting a mono-headset to put in my pocket without a battery case, but that is not a convenient idea?

Same for me as I have not found anything that fits well comfortably in my ear canal so I just bought and use the AirPods. They just sit in the ear and do not protrude into the ear canal. Not as good for music but great for me as they do not seal out ambient noise.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
AirPods of any variety. The H1 chip is a killer app if you have more than 1 Apple Device.

But there is no mute function if you’re phoneless and watch only. That’s a huge showstopper for me.

mk313

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2012
I do feel like one of the features of the AirPods Pro 2's was improved detection of when the AirPods are in your ears vs your pockets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.