Best/Easiest Way to Split DMGs for upload?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yuanmoons, May 16, 2010.

1. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

I want to upload a few big dmgs and so need to split them.

Any recommendations for cheap or free apps that will do this?

Or within Mac OSX - a tutorial?

Thanks.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

geez. how big are we talking?

had you considered google docs? i just used that today to send a ~30mb dmg to a friend.

other methods would be megaupload or something like that - or you could torrent it if you want. :)

3. yuanmoons thread starter macrumors 6502

Im talking anything from 600mb to 5gb sized files.

And I want to upload to my MobileMe (and some to public upload service.)

Want to clear my hard drive and i consider offline storage/mobileme as my techno-loft, the place you put stuff you dont want to trash but also dont want to leave around cluttering the place up.

And googlemail/docs is a good idea for extra space - 7gb free storage! Thanks.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm i see. adrive.com has 50GB free storage - they seem alright!

other then that you would probably have to pay for some sort of online backup - but im not familiar with them because i have data caps limiting me :(

5. yuanmoons thread starter macrumors 6502

To clarify - the question isn't about storage, its about how to SPLIT large files so they can be a manageable size in uploading/moving around. Thanks

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

UPDATE: I've found a solution for you, but I need to write up the instructions.
    It's from here: http://tekkie.flashbit.net/mac-os/how-to-split-dmg-into-segments

If the disk image isn't read-only: you need to run convert it to read-only using this:
    Code:
    hdiutil convert /location/of/your.dmg -format UDCO -o /output/location/of/converted.dmg
    When that's done run this:
    Code:
    hdiutil segment -o base_name_of_segments -segmentSize 100M /output/folder/of/segments/
    That will output 100MB segments. You can change this to K for kilobytes, G for gigabytes etc. And the number part is obvious.

[ignore]What if I said you could split up a dmg...but only if you copied the contents to new dmg?

You have to open up Disk Utility, click on 'New Image', in the dialog make sure the image is big enough, the at the bottom, select the drop down for 'Image Format', and choose 'spare bundle'.

Create this. On the sparsebundle file itself, right click and click on 'show package contents'. You'll see 1 folder and about 3 files. All you have to is make sure these 4 items get to the other end and be in a folder renamed with a .sparsebundle extension.[/ignore]

7. yuanmoons thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for help so far.

I also just realised i had found an app previously but hadnt got round to using it called macHacha.

http://homepage.mac.com/julifos/soft/machacha/index.html

I'll have a play about and see which way works best.

Thanks all - and if any other options pls add to thread!

8. yuanmoons thread starter macrumors 6502

This link sound perfect - thanks - this what i was looking for, something that doesnt require any additional software. Lets see if it works!

9. yuanmoons thread starter macrumors 6502

Im getting this 'error'?

hdiutil: segment: only a single input file can be specified
    Usage: hdiutil segment -o <outfile> -segmentCount <num> [options] <image>
    hdiutil segment -o <outfile> -segmentSize <size> [options] <image>
    hdiutil segment -help

10. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Sorry that 2nd command should've been:

Code:
    hdiutil segment -o base_name_of_segments -segmentSize 100M /location/of/image.dmg
    It's the location of your dmg you want split as the last argument.

And if that doesn't work, you'll have to post the command you entered (minus any username you may have used).

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

12. yuanmoons thread starter macrumors 6502

I got it to work.

I followed the url info so i was doing it right at the start (i think). Anyway, I moved the file to the desktop and changed the location bit - now it works..... atleast i think thats whats different... so not sure, but ive done a few and it works...

Hopefully thats it - thanks!!

ps. Now i need a fast upload connection - i got 50kbps at the home! Will have to go to Apple store tomorrow and get it all uploaded in 15mins :)