Best eBook reader?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by lisq199, May 23, 2016.

1. lisq199 macrumors newbie

lisq199

I've always been using iBooks. Can someone please recommend a 3rd-party eBook reader?

2. hawon macrumors member

3. lisq199 thread starter macrumors newbie

lisq199

But it doesn't support epub, does it?

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I'm using Hyphen at the moment. Marvin is also good and version 3 is coming soon.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

"Best" is relative, but I've been trying to consolidate the number of readers that I have on my iPad. At one time I had 3 or 4 to handle different formats. I've just downloaded iComics and it looks promising. It supports ZIP, CBZ, CBR, EPUB, and PDF. I have a ton of vintage comics, magazines, catalogs, and ebooks in those formats.

I'll use PDF Expert for PDFs that I need to mark up, but for reading, it looks like this might be a decent all-in-one solution.

6. richard.laay macrumors newbie

richard.laay

7. NonSoft macrumors member

It does not.

I'm not sure that it's worth the extra step, but you could always convert ePub to MOBI using something like Calibre.

It is a bit of a pain, but given the lack of quality alternatives, it is something to consider.

8. Reksy macrumors member

Marvin, hands down the best. The upcoming Marvin 3 is going to be insane as well with the ability to replace all other ereaders (for comics, PDFs, etc).

9. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I use the paid version of kybook for reading books in djvu and ePub format, PDF expert for PDFs, and kindle for kindle books.

10. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Check out NeoSoar - it's a good free epub reader and it has a nice Dropbox synch capability.

11. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I have Marvin. It's "ok" for me, but nothing for me to get excited about. If Marvin 3 will indeed support those other formats, then I'll gladly give it another shot.

12. Sajal macrumors regular

Use Calibre, convert to mobi and send to your kindle email. One time effort, but it's the best way to keep all devices in Sync. Also Kindle gives a very good reading experience.

13. steven_meritt1, Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016

steven_meritt1 macrumors newbie

steven_meritt1

I use both iBooks and Marvin to read eBooks but my vote goes to Marvin.

14. debudebu macrumors regular

Marvin 3 isn't supporting PDF import initially, later down the line apparently it will. I've tried so many, Kindle, hyphen, book master, liquid text, gerty, marvin, and margin note pro. I prefer Margin Note pro above the others because now it works with Epub and PDF and has a ton of features. I believe there is a free version to try first, but I use this one https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marginnote-pro-highlight-organize/id723205553?mt=8

I'm curious to see how well the UI is with the new Marvin, for now the one I linked is best, for me.

15. Perene macrumors 6502

Perene

For my iPAD 4 I tried FoxIt PDF, which is free, and while it has tons of features that iBooks lacks, I found it to be unreliable since it crashes from time to time (don't know if its due to being used in iPAD 4, but I doubt it).

I downloaded this Margin Note suggested here and I found it so good that now I decided to be my default app for ebooks.

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Marvin 3.0 is now out for anyone who's interested.

17. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Just installed Marvin 3.0. I dragged and dropped a few ebooks... epub, PDF, and cbz format but only epub shows up in the "Library".

18. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Hmm, my CBZ comic files show up fine. PDFs aren't supported. You might send an email about that.