Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lisq199

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
I've always been using iBooks. Can someone please recommend a 3rd-party eBook reader?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
"Best" is relative, but I've been trying to consolidate the number of readers that I have on my iPad. At one time I had 3 or 4 to handle different formats. I've just downloaded iComics and it looks promising. It supports ZIP, CBZ, CBR, EPUB, and PDF. I have a ton of vintage comics, magazines, catalogs, and ebooks in those formats.

I'll use PDF Expert for PDFs that I need to mark up, but for reading, it looks like this might be a decent all-in-one solution.

NonSoft

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2015
But it doesn't support epub, does it?

It does not.

I'm not sure that it's worth the extra step, but you could always convert ePub to MOBI using something like Calibre.

It is a bit of a pain, but given the lack of quality alternatives, it is something to consider.

Reksy

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2013
Marvin, hands down the best. The upcoming Marvin 3 is going to be insane as well with the ability to replace all other ereaders (for comics, PDFs, etc).

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I use the paid version of kybook for reading books in djvu and ePub format, PDF expert for PDFs, and kindle for kindle books.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Marvin, hands down the best. The upcoming Marvin 3 is going to be insane as well with the ability to replace all other ereaders (for comics, PDFs, etc).
I have Marvin. It's "ok" for me, but nothing for me to get excited about. If Marvin 3 will indeed support those other formats, then I'll gladly give it another shot.

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
But it doesn't support epub, does it?
Use Calibre, convert to mobi and send to your kindle email. One time effort, but it's the best way to keep all devices in Sync. Also Kindle gives a very good reading experience.

debudebu

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2008
I have Marvin. It's "ok" for me, but nothing for me to get excited about. If Marvin 3 will indeed support those other formats, then I'll gladly give it another shot.

Marvin 3 isn't supporting PDF import initially, later down the line apparently it will. I've tried so many, Kindle, hyphen, book master, liquid text, gerty, marvin, and margin note pro. I prefer Margin Note pro above the others because now it works with Epub and PDF and has a ton of features. I believe there is a free version to try first, but I use this one https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marginnote-pro-highlight-organize/id723205553?mt=8

I'm curious to see how well the UI is with the new Marvin, for now the one I linked is best, for me.

Perene

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Netherealm
For my iPAD 4 I tried FoxIt PDF, which is free, and while it has tons of features that iBooks lacks, I found it to be unreliable since it crashes from time to time (don't know if its due to being used in iPAD 4, but I doubt it).

I downloaded this Margin Note suggested here and I found it so good that now I decided to be my default app for ebooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.