Best Editing SW for Specific Needs

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by knowbd, Oct 11, 2009.

1. knowbd macrumors newbie

Having found iMovie to be a blunt tool for my video editing needs, I am trying to determine which option would be lowest cost for my particular needs. My editing needs are as follows:
    • Video Lecture with Overlays. I need to tape lectures then be able to EASILY overlay the lecture with photos or video clips while the lecture sound continues.
    • Music Video. I need to select a piece of music, then tie images to specific points of time in the audio. I need to assemble photos nonlinearly then apply transitions without everything shifting around.
    I view Final Cut Express and Premiere as my options.

Having spent a LOT of time playing with iMovie HD 6 and the 09 version and finding their logic frustratingly backwards for my needs (lay down video then lock audio clips to it; apparently needing to separate audio from video then reassemble to do overlays), I'd like to avoid expensive and time-consuming experimentation that might only lead to disappointment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Keith

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would start with FCE since it's cheaper at $199 versus Premiere.

3. gbriker macrumors newbie

Final Cut Express is a great option- it's what I use, and is really good for starting to learn how to do advanced editing. It is easy to add pictures over video (multi tracks)

I don't know that much about Premiere, but I have played around with it before. I do know that if you use Photoshop, After Affects, or any Adobe product, they all work very well with each other- Premiere can recognize layers fromm a Photoshop document, etc.

But if you don't or that's not really what you need, then FCE is very, very good.