Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irock101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
Hey,
Whats the best eGPU for the 2018 MBA to drive an external screen.
I am getting this one delivered today: https://www.directsale.nl/computer-...YH20afD9mG7yHMjc9vNFiCzlprw9D86xoCOB8QAvD_BwE

I don't play any games but use photoshop occasionally, mostly chrome, spotify etc. I am a 'webmaster' , so most of my work is browser / dreamweaver and a bit of photoshop.

I expect an overall increase in speed from the eGPU. Right now if I save a file (.png) in photoshop it takes 2 seconds to appear on my desktop. I hope the eGPU will solve those things.

It doesn't have to be upgradable either - I usually refresh my whole setup every 2 years.

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
The eGPU won't help you "to speed up" Photoshop in the way you hoped for. It only helps with some specific filters that are supported by the GPU. I don'e even think that an eGPU makes much sense for the MBA because of the underpowered Y CPU which sets the limits of this device...

Instead of investing in an eGPU you better might have bought a MacBook Pro for tasks like Photoshop...

Last edited:

irock101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
The eGPU won't help you "to speed up" Photoshop in the way you hoped for. It only helps with some specific filters that are supported by the GPU. I don'e even think that an eGPU makes much sense for the MBA because of the underpowered Y CPU which sets the limits of this device...

Instead of investing in an eGPU you better might have bought a MacBook Pro for tasks like Photoshop...

I hear you - but I mostly bought it for all the reasons people knock it and I am pretty happy with it. Playing rocket league on the half of the screen while using PiP and using chrome on the other side should be doable with an eGPU correct?

irock101

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 26, 2011
I have a GeForce GTX 1060 Gaming X6G from my older days. Is it compatible with any eGPU device and actually worth the money? The card is free, just need the eGPU housing.

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
GTX 1000 series GPUs are not supported by Mojave. Unless you plan to only use the eGPU with bootcamp I wouldn't put that in a chassis.

If Rocket League is the most demanding use then an RX 560 is probably all you need, but I'd suggest paying a little extra for an RX 570. (My RX 460 + 2015 Air didn't quite have the frame rate I was hoping for).

The Sonnet Breakaway Pucks are a popular choice for Airs because of the small size, but the significantly larger Sonnet Breakaway Boxes are both cheaper and upgradable (Skip the 350 in favor of a 350D or 550: the base 350 doesn't have pass through power delivery). I've also heard good things about the new VisionTek Mini: almost as small as the Puck but with an upgradable half-length ITX card and well integrated USB hub for peripherals.

Alternatively instead of spending $400-$500 on an eGPU for gaming on the side consider buying a gaming console if you don't already have one of those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.