Best eGPU setup for 2018 mac mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Cheapassmac, Nov 30, 2018.

?

Which eGPU enclosure is best suited for a 2018 mac mini?

1. Sonnet Breakaway Box

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Mantiz Venus

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Razor Core X

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Blackmagic eGPU

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. OWC Helios FX

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Other?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Cheapassmac macrumors regular

Which eGPU enclosure is best suited for a 2018 mac mini? I suppose I'll put up a poll, but would like some rationale.

The Sonnet box is quiet, but a i7 under load kinda makes that benefit moot. I hear the Mantiz can be hard to built/config and only goes up to Vega 56. Blackmagic is super expensive but the only one with usb c video output. I don't know about others boxes, but maybe people can share their experiences on them.

2. F-Train, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018

F-Train macrumors 65816

There is extensive discussion about external GPU options for the 2018 Mac mini, including enclosures, in the following thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/external-gpu-egpu-resources.2154653/

Started just over two weeks ago, the thread currently runs eight pages, has 197 contributions and over 13,000 views. A good number of posts talk about enclosure options and the related issues of
    • price
    • ability to upgrade a GPU in the future (including AMD's GPU roadmap)
    • footprint/size
    • build quality
    • aesthetics
    • noise
    • power needs (AMD's 500 series vs Vega GPUs)
    • and cabling (including discussion of passive vs active Thunderbolt 3 cables).

3. Cheapassmac thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate the heads up on that. You run a great thread (and thanks for finding out about the RX 590). But hoping to gain a quick tldr general consensus on which egpu to buy (based on what type of user)

4. rmdeluca macrumors 6502

"Best suited" how? Price? Size? Noise? Maximum power? Connectivity? Aesthetics?

5. Cheapassmac thread starter macrumors regular

Yes.

In all seriousness, price and practicality.

6. F-Train macrumors 65816

I'm not running anything. I'm just one of many beneficiaries of the contributions to that thread of a good number of knowledgeable people.