Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theaero

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2008
One thing I loved, is that when I read a mail, everything would sync and play nice. Gmail's native app is okay, but a few issues: when I click on an email in notification center, it stays there and doesn't go away. I would keep unread mail in notification center on purpose, and the default mail app makes that very simple. Others are that its pretty slow compared to native.

Any push gmail option that does what I'm looking for?

Thanks

maricc

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Not an alternate, but I forward my gmail emails to my icloud account which obviously pushes quite nicely. I then still have my gmail account linked up with my iphone so I can use the outbox.

I then tell gmail to mark as read in its own inbox (as to not get duplicate emails on my iphone)

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I get the impression that you will find fault with any mail app that isn't the native Apple one. So try this: configure your email account in the native email client and in the gmail app. Disable icon badges and notification center for gmail, leaving only alerts.
Gmail will alert of new new messages, but you can continue to manage your email from the Apple mail app.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
I get the impression that you will find fault with any mail app that isn't the native Apple one. So try this: configure your email account in the native email client and in the gmail app. Disable icon badges and notification center for gmail, leaving only alerts.
Gmail will alert of new new messages, but you can continue to manage your email from the Apple mail app.

That's actually great advice. It reminds me of a few weeks back when I was trying Tweetbot out. Someone said they didn't want to use it because once they deleted Twitter, they lost the share widget in notification center. I just kept Twitter on my phone and disabled all notifications/badges/etc.

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY

Bingo.

That's exactly what I've been doing since, for some reason, banners stopped working on Apple's Mail app since iOS 6. Now I get the instant alerts and banners from the GMail app while continuing to use the stock Mail app for everything.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012

That's an excellent idea.

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
One thing I loved, is that when I read a mail, everything would sync and play nice. Gmail's native app is okay, but a few issues: when I click on an email in notification center, it stays there and doesn't go away. I would keep unread mail in notification center on purpose, and the default mail app makes that very simple. Others are that its pretty slow compared to native.

Any push gmail option that does what I'm looking for?

Thanks

What's wrong with Outlook mail (formerly Hotmail)? I use that (set up as Exchange on iphone) and it pushes and synchs everything perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.