iPhone Best email client now that gmail killed push.

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by theaero, Apr 28, 2013.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

One thing I loved, is that when I read a mail, everything would sync and play nice. Gmail's native app is okay, but a few issues: when I click on an email in notification center, it stays there and doesn't go away. I would keep unread mail in notification center on purpose, and the default mail app makes that very simple. Others are that its pretty slow compared to native.

Any push gmail option that does what I'm looking for?

Thanks

2. maricc macrumors regular

Not an alternate, but I forward my gmail emails to my icloud account which obviously pushes quite nicely. I then still have my gmail account linked up with my iphone so I can use the outbox.

I then tell gmail to mark as read in its own inbox (as to not get duplicate emails on my iphone)

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

4. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but has quite its share of flaws

5. err404 macrumors 68020

I get the impression that you will find fault with any mail app that isn't the native Apple one. So try this: configure your email account in the native email client and in the gmail app. Disable icon badges and notification center for gmail, leaving only alerts.
    Gmail will alert of new new messages, but you can continue to manage your email from the Apple mail app.

6. aDRock1154, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

aDRock1154 macrumors 65816

aDRock1154

That's actually great advice. It reminds me of a few weeks back when I was trying Tweetbot out. Someone said they didn't want to use it because once they deleted Twitter, they lost the share widget in notification center. I just kept Twitter on my phone and disabled all notifications/badges/etc.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Bingo.

That's exactly what I've been doing since, for some reason, banners stopped working on Apple's Mail app since iOS 6. Now I get the instant alerts and banners from the GMail app while continuing to use the stock Mail app for everything.

8. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

That's an excellent idea.

9. caesarp macrumors 6502a

What's wrong with Outlook mail (formerly Hotmail)? I use that (set up as Exchange on iphone) and it pushes and synchs everything perfectly.

10. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't switch emails.