Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've been using Thunderbird for years now and I love it. It's free, open source, and allows you to choose what bolt on's you need...calendar, addresses etc.

I just can't get along with Applemail, and Outlook for Mac is an overblown bug ridden disaster.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Hi,

What's "best" of course is a personal thing - it depends on heaps of things including what features you need, what software you're used to using and just personal preference.

My general rule is to use the software that came with your computer until you find a good reason not to e.g. it's missing some feature you need or a new product comes out with a killer feature you could use.

So, I use Apple's Mail 99% of the time. I do however have Outlook installed and I agree with the previous poster that its a clunky mess. However, it has a few features that I need for work once in a while so when I absolutely have to I use Outlook.

For the record, the biggest reason I use Outlook is that meeting requests and shared calendars on our company Exchange server don't seem to work too well in Mail/iCal. Never quite figured out why...

Rob

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Hey guys,

Just wondering what email clients you use, and why?

I use Apple's Mail App. It took me a little while to get used to it, but now, I love it and it's so simple. I have it set up for my 3 email addresses (1 push, 2 fetch). I've set my fetch schedule to every minute, so that's pretty much push with a tiny lag. Also, I have the app set in my Start Up applications so I won't forget my emails since I didn't open the app.

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I'm quite interested to try out MailPilot but want to trial it before I part with my cash... nice concept though :D

Mail-Pilot-1.0.1-for-Mac-screenshot-003.jpg

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Postbox - the commercial version of Thunderbird so works with Tbird add ons, very Tbirdish but still actively developed....

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I'm quite interested to try out MailPilot but want to trial it before I part with my cash... nice concept though :D

Ditto. I'd really like to try it out.

I'm currently using AirMail and I like it a lot. I was using the stock OSX Mail app for a long time but the latest iteration just doesn't seem to work right. It's always fetching mail from my gmail accounts.

I did try PostBox for a while as well but I kept missing emails for some reason and it became a problem. I'm not sure what it was, the program is pretty good but it just wasn't for me.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
I was using Airmail for 5 months, but recently switched back to Apple Mail, I guess I prefer the cleaner look of the default app, Airmail now I find quite cluttered (despite playing with appearance options).

interstella

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2013
Suffolk, England
I used Apple's mail app until a few days ago but had serious trouble when my ISP changed it's IMAP settings. The app refused to connect to the SMTP servers or would only do so occasionally. A quick Google search soon showed that this isn't exactly an uncommon problem.

I downloaded Airmail it it worked instantly. It's very easy to set up, looks good and is easy to customise. I can definitely recommend it.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I'm happy with Apple Mail since my main email is via iCloud. My needs are simple and it meets them. I used to use Outlook on Windows with an Exchange server and tried the Mac Outlook version but found it too different and it was easier to switch to Mail.

Alexander-James

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2014
USA, Fl, Pensacola
Unibox

I have been using Unibox for last couple of months and i am happy with this email client. It actually sorts emails by timeframe and gives thumbnail previews of attachments without actually having to open anything.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I have been using Unibox for last couple of months and i am happy with this email client. It actually sorts emails by timeframe and gives thumbnail previews of attachments without actually having to open anything.

Thanks for reminding me about this app! I had heard about it and wanted to try it out. I just DL'd the 15 day trial. I like the clean interface. I'm not sure if I like that it sorts by sender rather than conversation. I think I'd like to the option to toggle (maybe I missed it?). But it looks really nice so far.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
^ So there's one webmail vote which is what I was searching the forums for.. more specifically "webmail vs email client".. why do people use email clients anymore? Seems like everything you can do within webmail.

I'm getting the urge to use an email client however in the past when I've done this I always end up going back to webmail (outlook.com).. so now I'm searching again to try and convince myself to give it another go (and probably go back again to webmail lol) :(

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Outlook for Mac is an overblown bug ridden disaster.

Outlook has been considerably more reliable than Apple Mail since Mavericks, although things have settled down a bit in 10.9.2.

Otherwise
I quite like Apple Mail especially with MailHub in use, but it doesn't handle image attachments very well in receipt or in sending to others and considering all the money Apple have in the bank its not really had enough attention and the last iterations have been poor. Airmail is reliable, but the interface doesn't do it for me. We are using Exchange Server now and with Outlook have a generally good experience.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
^ So there's one webmail vote which is what I was searching the forums for.. more specifically "webmail vs email client".. why do people use email clients anymore? Seems like everything you can do within webmail.

I'm getting the urge to use an email client however in the past when I've done this I always end up going back to webmail (outlook.com).. so now I'm searching again to try and convince myself to give it another go (and probably go back again to webmail lol) :(

I knew few people, if any, who have only 1 email address they check regularly. An email client helps to consolidate them. Webmail only allows you to view one at a time.

poorcody

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2013
I'm currently using AirMail and I like it a lot. I was using the stock OSX Mail app for a long time but the latest iteration just doesn't seem to work right. It's always fetching mail from my gmail accounts.

Exact scenario here. I really like AirMail. It's worth $2 to give it a try. I find it handles Gmail well and also handles multiple email accounts very well.

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
I knew few people, if any, who have only 1 email address they check regularly. An email client helps to consolidate them. Webmail only allows you to view one at a time.

Outlook.com and Gmail both allow you to connect accounts via POP/IMAP.. I have 4 different accounts in my outlook.com account via POP.

edit: all using the web interface.

Granted I've taken up Mail.app right now to try and see how I like that.. but it seems like the best argument people have other than a legitimate "for business/work" argument is that you can't connect multiple accounts via webmail.. but in-fact you can.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Postbox - the commercial version of Thunderbird so works with Tbird add ons, very Tbirdish but still actively developed....

Another vote for Postbox.

I own Airmail and Unibox as well but I keep coming back to Postbox. It is really the top of the line in OS X email clients. It's definitely worth the $9.95 for all of the features and expandability with the extensions. Yes, it's based on Thunderbird. As mentioned, unlike that app, it remains in active development.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Outlook.com and Gmail both allow you to connect accounts via POP/IMAP.. I have 4 different accounts in my outlook.com account via POP.

edit: all using the web interface.

Granted I've taken up Mail.app right now to try and see how I like that.. but it seems like the best argument people have other than a legitimate "for business/work" argument is that you can't connect multiple accounts via webmail.. but in-fact you can.

I should have phrased my post better. I really should say that it keeps things separate better. My personal domain for freelance creative work is one, my "corporate" email work is another, and then the "this has nothing to do with any work at all actual personal email."

I don't want these things intermingling in one inbox but I want to be able to look at all of it an once as well as have the choice to ignore one when needed (after hours, vacation, when work gets really busy, etc). I also can't use that system for my corporate email. You *could* make it work but it is a clunky experience at best with Exchange email. It doesn't sync properly on the work server side.

Also, I really mostly just hate both the outlook & gmail web interface but Outlook is better than Gmails. At the end of the day, "best _______" is always a subjective opinion.

OP - hope these suggestions have helped you to find the system that works for you.

Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Just wondering what email clients you use, and why?
Outlook 2011, Exchange account.

As much as people dislike Outlook, OWA (latest version is very similar to your preferred Outlook.com) is even worse. People use different solutions for different reasons. I fit works for you that's great but why would you assume that webmail would suit everyone? Or any single solution for any topic out there? One size never fits all.

but it seems like the best argument people have other than a legitimate "for business/work" argument is that you can't connect multiple accounts via webmail.. but in-fact you can.
Best and legitimate are both subjective matters. Again, don't just assume that what works best for you works best for everyone regardless of topic.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I use Claws Mail. It's simple, very lightweight, lightning quick, and has good support for GPG.

808?

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Hong Kong

Postbox still has supports for RSS feeds.

Which is why I paid for it over having 2 separate apps (email & RSS)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.