Best email option, Gmail, imap pop

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EmptyPockets, Feb 1, 2008.

1. EmptyPockets macrumors regular

I was wondering which way of running gmail would be the fastest and best at retrieving email constantly.

I am used to push email on my old blackberry and having to wait/check and recheck is a hassle.

Thanks,

2. scr1968 macrumors regular

It is tough to recommend one over the other when it comes to the iPhone. The e-mail client in the iPhone wouldn't take advantage of the strengths that either one offers.

You might want to check this out - maybe something here will sway you one way or another.

http://www.imap.org/imap.vs.pop.brief.html

SCR

3. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

It is always easier to use IMAP when you are trying to access an account from multiple devices. You can set POP to leave messages on the server but I've found that some services don't behave correctly in that mode.

The real difference between POP and IMAP is that POP defaults to removing messages from the server while IMAP is all server based. Unless you like to download mail and then go someplace where you don't have web access, IMAP is a better choice. And with Google's essentially unlimited storage space, you don't have to worry about filling up your mailbox and running out of room.