Best Encryption Software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ekos, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Ekos macrumors newbie

Ekos

Hey,

I did a search and did not find anything on this topic. I was wondering if there is a good app on OS X that would encrypt an individual file?
    In windows I used to use Kruptos (http://www.kruptos2.co.uk/).
    I am aware of Truecrypt to make large folders, but was looking for individual file encryption. I have been looking around, but haven't found a good one yet.
    Any help is appreciated. Thanks.:D

PS If anyone is curious why I want to encrypt everything, its because my MacBook has my life in it, and I would like to protect certain files. Thanks.

2. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I would just create an encrypted disk image using Disk Utility (do NOT save the password in your Keychain). When you mount it and enter your password, you can drag the files you want to keep safe to it.

No need to use FileVault to encrypt your whole account, and no need for third party software.

That said, I prefer TrueCrypt since the encrypted files are transferrable to other OSs.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

5. Ekos thread starter macrumors newbie

Ekos

Cool Widget, Thanks guys. I think I will do a combo of Truecrypt and the widget, depending on which I use the most.

6. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Again I ask - especially with this being a laptop - why not just use FileVault and forget any headaches of having to encrypt/unencrypt files or folders?