Best end of network to have wired?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MoodyM, Nov 11, 2013.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I'm planning on getting a Mac Mini and sitting it next to my router, and put an Apple TV under living room TV. The Mac Mini will be used purely as an iTunes server.

If I could only have one "side" wired, which would be best - Apple TV to router wired and Mac Mini to router wireless, or Apple TV to router wireless and Mac Mini to router wired?

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I'm guessing you have only 1 ethernet port on your router. If so, buy a switch and wire both. Switches are cheap and will give you the spare ports you need to wire both. Basically, I'm of the mind that if you can go wired, do it.

That said though, I've seen enough comments to suggest that :apple:TV might be optimized for wireless connections so if you have to wire only one, consider that collective bit of feedback.

Best advice: if you can't wire both, test it both ways and see what works best in your environment. Everyone else is going to have different environments which will affect the relevance of what they can offer you.

3. Cinephi1e macrumors regular

In my experience the Apple TV will do very well streaming with WiFi if you have a good WiFi signal. The Mac Mini would benefit from a direct wired connection as you may be using it to serve multiple streams (to the Apple TV, to your computer, to your iDevices). Also, downloading files to the Mac Mini will be better with a wired connection.

4. Stewart21 macrumors regular

You could also use Homeplugs. i.e. through your electric sockets.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Depending on the wired speed, the Mac Mini can get 1Gbs connections through wired, whereas the Apple TV is limited to 100Mbs through a wired connection, yet depending on the router, can achieve better throughput on the wired (theoretically speaking). I had faced the same dilemma and chose the wired for the mini and wireless for the ATV.

6. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

You'd be best served doing what you have to do to get everything hardwired.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Really impossible to say for certain. As stated above, you'd need to test. Generally speaking the server should be hardwired but there are certainly situations where that wouldn't apply. For best results, hardwire both. There ar plenty of options out there to do so even if you can't run a cable.

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

9. DaPhatty macrumors member

You always want your source to be connected to the network using the fastest and most reliable connection possible. Therefore, your Mac Mini should be connected via Ethernet cable to your network.

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

If can only have one side, the ATV.

That's my short answer.