Best eSATA ExpressCard for uMBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cube, Dec 29, 2009.

1. cube macrumors G5

What is the best and most compatible eSATA ExpressCard for uMBP (whatever the OS that might be running) ?

2. Muse-Med macrumors newbie

Hello -

I just purchased (and received in the mail today) an eSATA Expresscard|34 by OWC. After talking to the salesperson about my MBP and the driver issues that other Expresscards have with the MBPs, apparently this was the best and safest purchase for my needs. Here's a link to the Mac Sales web site that contains information about the OWC eSATA Expresscard|34:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/EXP34SATA2P1/

Apparently the chipset associated with the OWC eSATA card is most compatible with the MBPs.

By the way, my older eSATA Expresscard|34 was giving me significant problems with my MBP and audio projects. The older card was manufactored by Griffin. It didn't allow me to access all of my happy 4 GBs of RAM on large audio projects (loading up my Kontakt 4 program with large, CPU & memory consuming software instruments). Apparently, the Griffin card, and many others like it, uses a chipset that causes driver conflicts with the MBPs. The OWC eSATA card uses JMicron JMB360 chipset which, apparently, is more compatible and causes less problems.

Here's another link regarding the discussion on problematic eSATA cards:

Discussion on eSATA Drives

Hopefully the links will give you the information that you need.

Good luck. . .

3. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Thanks, but that OWC card does not support port multiplication for Mac, and it seems it doesn't work with Windows on Mac.

From what I've seen, it looks that maybe the best is the Sonnet Tempo Pro, but it looks like that doesn't work with Windows on the Mac, either.

4. Muse-Med macrumors newbie

Yea. . . I was considering the Sonnet Tempo Pro as well. Currently, I don't need the the port multiplication for Mac. The OWC card, at present, meets my needs and is quite inexpensive. It only costs about $19.00. It may be a bit pricey, but the Sonnet Tempo Pro seems like a good card.

5. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Given that it seems that none of the cards work under Windows on the Mac and I don't need port multiplication for the time being, I think the best will be to go for a cheap JMicron-based card, even if it doesn't reach the performance of the Sonnet Pro.

6. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Are all JMB360 cards just the same? They will all work, even if they are not made for Mac?

7. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Do these JMB360 cards play well with quad interface cases?