Best Event Part: Windows 8 $199 .... OSX Free !

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by OSMac, Oct 22, 2013.

1. OSMac macrumors 65816

Loved one part of todays event:

Windows 8 $199 .... OSX Free !

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

MSFT is a software company. They can't give their major product away for free.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Not only that, but you paid for Mac OS when you bought your Mac. Apple is just making minor revisions like Mavericks free - just like Windows 8.1 is free.

4. stuffradio macrumors 65816

5. OSMac, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

Read it's free for everyone all the way back to Snow Leopard ...

6. stuffradio macrumors 65816

Only for eligible hardware. It doesn't matter. Those who want Windows will get Windows, those who want Mac OS X will get a Mac. Some will get Mac OS X and put Windows on it.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's just marketing. You could argue that the initial cost of whatever basic form of Windows is free due to it being bundled with oem purchases, yet the cost of that license is still built into the retail price of the machine. Apple builds it in too. Apple has repeatedly backed off on the cost of OSX updates. I suspect at this point there are specific advantages to including the cost of updates in the initial sale. It may simplify long term support or help encourage third party development.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

That's true, but you can argue that we mac users have already paid for the update by buying our computers.

----------

beat me to it

9. OSMac thread starter macrumors 65816

10. bernhard macrumors member

their major product is Office, not Windows, but in general you're right

11. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

haha lol. I bought Windows 8 when the upgrade was around $29. Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade to Windows 8.

12. josh.b macrumors regular

People saying MS is a software company yeh true but so is Apple they just make the hardware as well. I guess you could say take $200 off the price of your mac to make up for the free os x that comes with it plus future upgrades ($$$?). In reality stepping back with resale value and stuff mac is actually cheaper than a PC with legit windows and upgrade path + resale value.

People saying windows point updates are free, well Apple's used to be too (now everything is free) so you have no argument there either.