Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
My biggest regret is not loading my Late 2016 with more SSD. I've found 512GB to be far more limiting than I ever imagined when I purchased earlier this year. I recently tried listing it on CL as an attempt to get out from under it, but no bites.

If I took it to Apple and demanded a new logic board with more SSD what would that set me back? LOL. I'm only half kidding...

Seriously though, any super portable recommendations for external drives? I've got this little USB-C SSD enclosure but it can be difficult to work with when lounging on a couch or something.

Last edited:

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
What is your drive filled up with?

If it's media, then get that stuff straight off onto an external! Takes up a tonne of space and no need for it to be on main drive.

Get a cheap NAS or just plug the HDD into your router if you can, simple solution.

negativzero

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2011
I got the 512GB myself and its more than enough. My movies and music are stored on a NAS. Pictures are stored on Photos app which is linked to my iCloud Photo Library. I got a 1TB OneDrive subscription with Office 365 and thats where the other bulk of documents go to. Its easy to grab your documents anywhere anywhere you are from the cloud and have a wifi connnection. There is honestly no need for so much local storage anymore.

Reactions: Patcell

rawweb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
There is honestly no need for so much local storage anymore.

Well, that's an opinion. I might have agreed a year ago, but have since started taking on a lot of 4k projects that have required me to be more portable than my Mac Pro/ iMac days. NAS would be much too slow over ethernet/wifi for something like that. Thanks for your input though!

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
Well, that's an opinion. I might have agreed a year ago, but have since started taking on a lot of 4k projects that have required me to be more portable than my Mac Pro/ iMac days. NAS would be much too slow over ethernet/wifi for something like that. Thanks for your input though!

Try using TB drives for external work files if you're doing media, no amount of internal storage will ever be enough, and an external TB drive (Whilst expensive) will be significantly faster than chucking things on a cheap USB/NAS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.