best extension to rip movies to?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by j2048b, Jan 2, 2011.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

In general what is the best extension to rip your movies to in order to stream them well? I dont have an apple tv anymore but stream everything from my mac pro to my ps3 and wanted to ask because an mvk, and mp4 need to be encoded pretty heavily in order to play well, and wanted to ask if maybe an avi or even a divx would work better?

thanks

2. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I've found that just about every format I've tossed at my PS3 plays - I use IConnect - but their are lot's to chose from http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux

given that, the decision is more a size/quality argument. I use Handbreak and encode for the ATV2, ending up with an mp4 file that plays in just about all my devices. I have a lot of avi, mkv and what not - i probably won't re-encode for the ATV, they all (mostly) play in the ps3

3. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

i have both ps3ms and medialink, and for what ever reason MEDIALINK ALWAYS HAS AN AUDIO SYNC ISSUE!!! i am not sure how to even begin to correct this? maybe a setting needs to be adjusted within hb?

btw what is "IConnect"?

thanks

4. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Sorry, meant to say EyeConncect it's a UPnP server for the mac

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/software/EyeConnect.en.html

5. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, i downloaded it, and i always have stuttering issues when trying to do any mp4 or mkv file through anything i have tried? thats why i wanted to see if maybe doing my movies in another format would make it easier to strem them?