Best External Battery Booster for iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by redman042, Aug 7, 2008.

1. redman042 macrumors 68020

Looking for an external battery pack to charge the iPhone while traveling. Apple sells a Kensington product in store but it's on backorder and it's $70. I've been to local stores and have seen a few generic models (Energizer, etc.) that work with mini-usb phones - wondering if I can adapt male mini-usb to female USB then plug the iPhone cord into that. But chances are I wouldn't get more than half a charge out of one of these anyway.

Anyway, has anyone bought an external battery that they've had good experience? I need it to be compatible with the 3G and get me at least one full charge.

2. cschmelz macrumors 6502

I just got TWO of the RichardSolo batteries (me and my wife's) They are cool, the design is nice as it comes with a retractable USB to mini USB cord that they use for charging from the included wall wart. The cool thing is, when you travel you can JUST bring the charger for the Solo battery you plug the retractable USB cord into the Solo battery, then plug the Solo battery into the iPhone. It charges the iPhone first then when the iPhone is full it charges the Solo. Slick slick design (plus I can use the USB to mini-USB cable to also download my digital photos when I'm traveling, just a small added plus and less to carry)

I fully discharged my iPhone the other day and the Solo battery had my iPhone up to about 80% charge in an hour give or take....

3. hikertommy, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

hikertommy macrumors newbie

$70 sounds pricey for what it is.

I bought a little clip on booster which although isn't 100% pratical, it serves well for an emergency. Its also very easy to keep on you and has a practical led level for power.

With the battery/case combo, I think it adds too much bulk and I don't feel you need to carry the battery/case combo on the iPhone all the time.

http://www.casehut.com/micro-usb-external-back-up-battery.html

If the battery/case combos come down to the £25 price and get a lot slimmer then I may well invest :)