Best external battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by klex, Jul 13, 2012.

1. klex macrumors regular

After a search, I found a few threads on this topic, but they either have no responses or are too old (+2 years).

A friend needs an external battery for the new 2012 air. A google search revealed products from Quickertek and Hypermac.

Can anyone recommend a battery or have any insights to share?

Thanks.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

3. klex thread starter macrumors regular

With all due respect, I did see that post. However, since I am not about to embark on making my own batteries, I was asking for assistance in relation to a third-party product. I am not a DIY kind of guy.

4. LYFK macrumors regular

Even though I am a DIY person, I do feel that the existing thread on the DIY battry has convinced me NOT to do it. I think I'd much rather trust (not necessarily the experts but) those who have safeguards and accountability in place in the event that something goes wrong.

So yes, any experiences with the above-mentioned commercial battery products would be greatly appreciated.

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I've heard very good things about the Hypermac products. I agree with others that building your own batteries is pennywise and pound-foolish.

6. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I am just on the fence, because of all the wires and magsafe to magsafe 2 adapter needed to make those batteries work for the 2012 air.

7. emartins macrumors newbie

I use a Hypermac, I just purchased the auto/airline adapter and it works perfect for me. Not to many cables to carry but I preferred it over the cutting of my cord. I recommend it.

8. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Great. Which one did you get?

9. emartins macrumors newbie

I got the 100, I wasnt sure at the time if I should go 60/100. The 100 is more than I need and I now know I could of gone with the 60 but I guess its better to have more than less. It does come in handy for the plane trips with the family. Am able to charge the iPads and my computer on the plane at the same time.

10. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect. Thanks. How many extra hours on average does it give you?

11. emartins macrumors newbie

I have never timed it as I have yet to use it but the longest I got out of it that I could remember was around 14/15 hours. Had it for a weekend and both days I used the Air with the battery plugged in, roughly 7-8 hours each day of use. I did charge my iPhone on it as well as I was draining the battery when tethering. I was happy that weekend with it.

12. klex thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that info. Very helpful. I will probably order the same as you.