Best external case for internal HDs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by imacfreak85, Aug 26, 2007.

1. imacfreak85 macrumors newbie

I have G5 currently and just bought a new iMac. I have 3 HD's, two internal and one in an external case. It a compusa case, but its really unreliable. Anyone have advice on a better case for an internal HD? It would need to be for a Serial ATA HD from the G5.
    Thanks

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i would HIGHLY recomment macpower drives (http://www.macpower.com.tw/). easily the best looking drives out there, practically built for your mac! great options aswell, if your willing to pay the price.

3. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

OWC is great. That's where I got mine. It's nice to have ease of mind since they are made for macs and firewire.

4. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    I'd recommend looking at CoolDrives. Heck, they even demo building an external HDD using their featured enclosure in a video on the home page! How cool is that?

They offer quite a range of product. I kind of like the ones that look like the G5 tower case, but to each their own.

5. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Just wondering, what is unreliable about your compusa case?

6. imacfreak85 thread starter macrumors newbie

The compusa drive is unreliable in that it doesnt always mount the HD. It gives a red blinking light sometimes, and i have to have the right combination of restarting the mac and the HD to get it to show up. Im almost certain its not the HD having a problem because it was brand new when I put it in there.

Also, looking at prices for "decent" external cases.. I cant help but notice it would be cheaper just to buy a whole external HD. I can get an external case for my internal drive for $100, or I can get a 500GB external LaCie HD for $119. Is there some sort of advantage to using an internal drive?

7. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Well, why not just take the HDD out and make it a 3rd internal drive?

Also, you can only boot to external drives (CD/DVD or HDD) if they're connected via FireWire. Bear that in mind.

8. imacfreak85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I couldnt put it as an internal because my G5 only has two internal bays. And now I just bought an iMac, so I really need an external. So, is there a difference between an internal drive in an external case, and just buying an external HD (like the LaCie drive)?

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

only PPC can boot from fw. the new intels can boot from both fw and usb. :)