Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astewes

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I've been sifting through newegg.com and also looking at bestbuy.com for good deals on a quality monitor that will work nicely with my new 13" MBP Retina.

At newegg.com, I'm considering:
SAMSUNG S24C350HL

ASUS VN248H

ASUS VE248Q

And at Best Buy I'm looking at:
Asus - 23" Widescreen LED Monitor - Black

I'm sure there are many others I didn't include that are worth a look. This will be my first external monitor purchase, and I don't want to buy the wrong one out of ignorance. Ideally, I want something with HDMI. What about Display Port? If you have any additional displays that you think I should consider, please share.

d&b

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
A great monitor with Macs

I picked up a Dell S2340M to hook to my Mac Mini. The monitor has an IPS panel and is awesome. It is supported in the OS and comes right up. The excellent clarity of the display is enhanced by its clear front cover which is essentially borderless. It is very reflective which could be a deal breaker depending upon the lighting in your room.

You do need an HDMI to DVI cable to connect it as it does not have HDMI.

It is well priced at $159 (Costco) and $159 (Best Buy on sale).

leftywamumonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
California
Have you considered the ASUS PB238Q ? It comes with a $20 mail in rebate. It has an IPS panel and it has a superior stand. I don't believe it comes with an HDMI cable, so if you pick up a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable on Amazon, that would work well.

macrominnie

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
Have you considered the ASUS PB238Q ? It comes with a $20 mail in rebate. It has an IPS panel and it has a superior stand. I don't believe it comes with an HDMI cable, so if you pick up a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable on Amazon, that would work well.

I have seen others with this ASUS model who are pleased.

For $208, a similar price range, you can get a Dell Outlet refurb:

Dell Refurbished UltraSharp U2212HM 21.5-inch Widescreen Monitor

I have one that has performed well for a while with heavy use.

In any case, look for a choice with IPS (not TN) and LED backlight. If possible, get one that includes a stand that can rotate between landscape and portrait views. They'll probably be near the upper limit of the price range.

For around 9 dollars, the mini-display port to DVI adapter from Monoprice has done fine with my MBP's.

cityhuntermx

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2011
I have seen others with this ASUS model who are pleased.

For $208, a similar price range, you can get a Dell Outlet refurb:

Dell Refurbished UltraSharp U2212HM 21.5-inch Widescreen Monitor

I have one that has performed well for a while with heavy use.

In any case, look for a choice with IPS (not TN) and LED backlight. If possible, get one that includes a stand that can rotate between landscape and portrait views. They'll probably be near the upper limit of the price range.

For around 9 dollars, the mini-display port to DVI adapter from Monoprice has done fine with my MBP's.

I got a 23'' from tigerdirect. What I love this monitor is that it has adjustable height so that I can use my laptop in front of this monitor without blocking the monitor display!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.