Best External Display options for 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mactedder, May 15, 2011.

1. mactedder macrumors newbie

mactedder

I have both a 13" i3 2011 MBP and 2009 DualCore 3.06 27" iMac.

I am considering selling my 27" iMac in an effort to recoup a little bit of money and buy a decent external display to run from my 13" MBP.

I don't really need a 27" Display, I personally find this more than needed for my graphics work and would probably get a 24" Display.

I have been looking at the old 24" Apple display which powers the MBP and has the built in iSight, and USB. This looks a very attractive option for around £500 on eBay. However I am worried these are now a little old, and there are better newer options out there made by other Samsung, Dell, BenQ etc.

What things should I consider when looking at other display?

Also I have the following queries with the MBP external display setup:

• Do other brand display's all work with MBP lid closed, and let me use the external display's resolution?
    • Can I still use bluetooth and usb peripherals when MBP lid is closed?
    • Can I use the CD/DVD slot in MBP when lid closed

Any other advice will be much appreciated. :)

2. JayMBP macrumors regular

Yes, by factory default, you could wake your MBP up with keyboard/mouse with an external display. Ultimately you could install apps like caffeine so your MBP never goes to sleep.

Yes and yes..

For external display options, unless you need the aesthetic of apple, you could always get newer Dell/HP that comes with displayport. A DP-->Mini DP cable is pretty cheap.

3. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Does the 27" iMac not have a mini display port in. Just run it in target mode. I would just keep the iMac and use it as a really nice display, you can also use the iMac to run 24/7 for torrents etc. Unless you need the $$$$ u have an awesome display right now. That's what I use mine for right now as I needed more grunt for video encoding so got a pc, which knocks out videos in 1/2 the time and my iMac acts as a display and day to day tasks while I am not using the pc.

4. cinek macrumors 6502

take a look at either dell U2410 or U2711 - really good IPS displays - better then apple cinema display. Don't go directly with dell tho unless they have a good offer. I saved £200 on my U2711 by not getting it directly from dell

5. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I would run your current 27" iMac in Target Display Mode. Just buy a MiniDP cable and connect the two.

6. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Vivitek 1080p projector ~$700
    Hands down the most exciting option.

2nd I would go with a HP 30"

3rd I would go with a 27" Apple Cinema

7. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I got a Dell Ultrasharp U2311 on Dell's website with a 25% coupon they were running awhile back. It's the real deal; I would definitely recommend one if you find a good deal.

8. mactedder thread starter macrumors newbie

mactedder

thanks

Thanks for info all...

I understand what you are saying about keeping the iMac but my thinking is that I could get £900 for iMac and get a decent 24" monitor for around £300-500 and usethe extra cash towards updating some of my my software.

On Paper I do like the spec of the Dell Ultrasharp range, but they are ruddy ugly boxes.

I like the Samsung range, are there any decent Samsung's to compete with the Dell Ultrasharp range? Ideally LED too.:confused:

9. jasweb macrumors newbie

Fine for a few minutes, but a bit of a waste using a $2000 system just as a monitor....